Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Seriously? - Introductions - About this Forum - Start Here - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Aug 5th, 2011 05:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

If you're referring to the Election of 1860, I don't recall anyone not accepting the results of the election. There was no dispute that Mr. Lincoln won that election (With 39.8% of the vote). There was no attempt that I know of to keep him from assuming the presidency, and there was no attempt that I know of to remove him from office.

Posted: Fri Aug 5th, 2011 10:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
HankC

Mana: 

you are saying that the 7 deep south states were willing to accept the results and have him as their President?

Posted: Fri Aug 5th, 2011 10:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

What I said was that the southerners accepted the results of the 1860 presidential election. They accepted the fact that Mr. Lincoln won the election and would become President of the United States.

The southerners in the seven states you referred to chose not to have Mr. Lincoln as their president. They chose to exercise what they regarded as their constitutional right to leave the United States of America.

Posted: Sat Aug 6th, 2011 07:49 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

That would be the difference, wouldn't. One thing to accept the results, another to accept the man. South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, Lousiana, and Texas didn't accept the man so from December 1860 through February 1861 they excirsised what they felt was their right to leave the union. It wasn't the first time states had considered doing so, but it was the first time it had happened.

Edit: Wow, must really have been tired, I had seccesion doing a time warp. Edited 1960 to the proper 1860.

Last edited on Sat Aug 6th, 2011 09:13 am by Hellcat

Current time is 09:30 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3530 seconds (8% database + 92% PHP). 26 queries executed.