Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Super Bowl 2012 - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Aug 5th, 2011 02:21 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
pender

Mana: 

Since there seems to be quite a few football fans on this board. Why not let us see who every one think's will make it to this years Super Bowl? Mine will be a repeat.  I think it will be the Green Bay Packers vs the Pittsburgh Steelers. I like the Packers pretty good, but I despise the Steelers. So I hope I am wrong. The Packers still seem almost unstoppable,and the Steelers always seem to manage to get there. Plus if the Packers get a decent running game,watch out. Clay Matthews is a BEAST.

Pender

Posted: Fri Aug 5th, 2011 06:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
TimK

Mana: 

Picking teams to make it to the Super Bowl is really hard. There is a lot of parity. Baseball is so much easier. Way back in February, you would have to have been blind to not see that Boston was the best in the AL, and Philly the best in the NL, and sure enough, that is the way it is playing out.

But I guess that wasn't the question. It really pains me to say it, but I have a feeling that NE will snap their playoff slump and make it in the AFC. Philly has added some good pieces in the NFC, but I'm not sure they will all fit together. GB gets a lot of players that were hurt last year back, so I think they will be back.

But really, the way the NFL is, it could just as easily be Baltimore and Tampa Bay. Heck, if the Giants would have punted away from DeSean Jackson last year, the Packers wouldn't have even made the playoffs. One play changes the entire season. Gotta love it.

Posted: Fri Aug 5th, 2011 06:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

***GASP**** I agree with Tim. Very tough year to pick. I have to think NE will be a team to beat, and I'm anxious to see the impact Ocho Cinco may have with Brady throwing to him. There's also some teams I think will show marked improvement possibly even teams like Detroit and Arizona. GB will be a force if Finley returns and stays healthy. Best TE in the NFL IMO.

I'll make my picks before the season starts but after the pre-season games.

Posted: Sat Aug 6th, 2011 07:48 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

The Patriots will rise again.

Posted: Wed Aug 10th, 2011 06:03 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
TimK

Mana: 

Let's make this a little interesting without absolutely nothing to lose. If anybody can name the two teams that will play in the Super Bowl this year (the 2011 season), I will send them free of charge a Trailhead Graphics Civil War Battlefield map - your choice of map. All picks must be made before the first game between New Orleans and Green Bay on Thursday, Sept. 8, and you can only pick once. If you make a pick and then change your mind (like if you take NE today and Brady breaks his leg in the second exhibition - oops, I mean pre-season game), I will take your last pick before Sept. 8. I'm going to make a pick also, but I already have the maps. We're not looking for the Super Bowl winner - just the two participants.

This is strictly for fun and to create a little football talk to go with our CW fix. I won't send anybody the cash value of a map - so don't ask.

Good luck!

Last edited on Wed Aug 10th, 2011 06:05 pm by TimK

Posted: Thu Aug 11th, 2011 11:51 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
pender

Mana: 

TimK, Never have been a Steelers fan. But might just pull for them to make it to the Super Bowl to get those maps. Not to get on the band wagon of the Super Bowl champ Packers. I can pull for them very easy. I growed up watching the Pack my dad has been a Packer fan as long as I can remember. Well saturday night is the big night. First preseason game for the Carolina Panthers. I can not wait to see what Cam Newton does. Can not believe the Gaints let Steve Smith go. would have liked the Panthers to have got him. Could have been Smith and Smith down in Carolina.

Pender

Posted: Thu Aug 11th, 2011 11:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
PA Bucktail
Co. B, 1st PA Rifles

Mana: 

I don't see how you can go against the Packers, they managed to win it all with several key players missing. Even with the Eagles' additions, I don't think they stack up with Green Bay.

The AFC seems pretty wide open. I don't want to buy into all the hype with New England just yet, but I also see the Steelers taking a step back. Yet I don't know who's going to step up and take their spot.

Posted: Tue Aug 16th, 2011 02:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
TimK

Mana: 

First week of pre-season is over. Any thoughts on anybody that looked particularly good or bad?

Carolina fans - Cam Newton had a good first pre-season game against the Giants. Should Canton start working on his bust?

Posted: Tue Aug 16th, 2011 02:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

First pre-season game doesn't tell you much, but I can say I like my Texans defense. Looking much better than previous years.

Newton did look good - Clausen looked like a clod. If their coach starts Clausen, he should be run out of town.

Giants offense looked poor.

Phillip Rivers looked sharp.

Need to see more....

Posted: Wed Aug 17th, 2011 11:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
pender

Mana: 

Thought Cam Newton looked very good. Especially, since it was his first time in pro football even though it is preseason. I think Greg Olsen will really help out this year. If Clausen does not show more and Newton keep's doing good in preseason I think he should definitely start. I think he can give em a burst of energy that Clausen can't. But it is still about to early to tale what's what. Missed Denver's game. How did Tebow look? I agree with Javal, Texan's D looked better.

Pender

Last edited on Wed Aug 17th, 2011 11:52 pm by pender

Posted: Tue Aug 30th, 2011 02:10 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
TimK

Mana: 

I'm ready - the last pre-season game means nothing. I only see Green Bay being better, and I think this will be Tom Brady's last hurrah. I am going to say it will be a Green Bay - New England Super Bowl.

Posted: Tue Aug 30th, 2011 02:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Yep Tim, I think I'm ready too. Remaining pre-season games will be all backups. My pick:

Green Bay vs. San Diego Chargers

Posted: Tue Aug 30th, 2011 06:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
bolaman1975

Mana: 

Eagles and Steelers

Posted: Thu Sep 1st, 2011 12:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
pender

Mana: 

I am going to stay with my original post the Packers vs Steelers. The Panthers looked good first game, All down hill after that though. Wonder what the regular season holds for em :?. Thought Detroit looked impressive against New England.

Pender

Posted: Thu Sep 1st, 2011 08:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
TimK

Mana: 

I like Detroit, too. The defense looks nasty. Stafford needs to stay healthy to have a shot at a wild card. They look better than Chicago and Minnesota, but not as good or as experienced as Green Bay.

Probably more appropriate for a different thread, but it looks like Vick will be able to start to pay off creditors from his bankruptcy with his new contract. It's all good - huh, Joe?

Posted: Thu Sep 1st, 2011 08:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Yep, all good Tim. Just become a torturing, sadistic, deviant felon, then stick to the gameplan devised by your publicist and you too can make millions. Gotta love the USA.

Posted: Thu Sep 1st, 2011 08:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

I was going to make a comment about the Michael Vick controversy, but then I realized that I don't have a dog in that fight.

Posted: Thu Sep 1st, 2011 08:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

I rarely LOL TD, but you just made me spit Cola all over my monitor :)

Posted: Fri Sep 2nd, 2011 07:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

Packers and Patriots

Posted: Wed Sep 21st, 2011 11:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
pender

Mana: 

Well men, I believe the Panthers have em a QB. Over 400 yards in first 2 games. What you all think of Newton's game play? I know he throwed some int's, but he was up against the super bowl champ Pack. All in All Newton's really impressed me. Still think the Packers are Super Bowl bound. Love seeing the Colts get whipped. The Texans spanked em first week. Who is impressing you guys?

Pender

P.S. Where's Carolinas running game?

Current time is 02:51 pmPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2106 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 25 queries executed.