Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Hello - Introductions - About this Forum - Start Here - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Aug 11th, 2011 04:44 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
PA Bucktail
Co. B, 1st PA Rifles

Mana: 

Hi, my name is Dave and I am a Civil War enthusiast/reenactor from Allentown (yes, that Allentown), PA. After having had interest in the subject for years, it became a full-on obsession several years ago upon reading the Shaara's series. It began with books, followed by painting miniatures, Civil War video games (Take Command: Second Manassas and Scourge of War: Gettysburg), genealogy and finally the ultimate step: reenacting.

I am in my first year of reenacting, with Company B of the 1st Pennsylvania Rifles (13th PA Reserves, 42nd PA or simply the Bucktails) and often enough I find myself just waiting for the next time that I'll get to go out and truly live.

For those interested, I have ancestry in the following units: 6th PA Reserves, 46th PA, 48th PA, 151st PA and 28th MA. There's another who was in a PA cavalry unit, but the regiment escapes me at this time.

I look forward to finally having some good discussion!

Posted: Thu Aug 11th, 2011 09:01 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Welcome PA,

Good to see another one from my home town. What area of Allentown do you live in? At various times I lived at 9th & Chew, 10th & Turner, 13th & Liberty, as well as Whitehall, Coplay and Walnutport.

Posted: Thu Aug 11th, 2011 03:00 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
PA Bucktail
Co. B, 1st PA Rifles

Mana: 

Small world, isn't it? I've lived on the south side, near where Emmaus Av. is. Used to be very quiet there, but with all the New Yorkers coming in it's starting to get worse quickly.

Posted: Thu Aug 11th, 2011 07:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

I used to spend a lot of time in the Mountainville area. Bowled at Mountainville Lanes, bent my elbow often at what I believe was just called the Mountainville Hotel, and once dated a waitress at the Sunrise Diner over on South 4th. Haven't been back in 13 years, so I have no idea if any of those places still exist. Good memories.

Were your ancestors in A-town as well? If so I'd be surprised if you didn't have any in the 153rd Pa. Infantry.

Posted: Thu Aug 11th, 2011 08:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

And speaking of the 153rd PA (thanks, Joe!). . .

Welcome, Bucktail, from another Pennsylvanian! I grew up in Quakertown, frequented Allentown quite often, and have ancestors from Saucon Valley, one of which served in the 153rd PA, Co. C. He was wounded on Day 1 at Gettysburg (Barlow Knoll)died 27 days later in Harrisburg.

Enjoy the forum--there are a lot of good and knowledgeable people here!

Posted: Thu Aug 11th, 2011 11:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
PA Bucktail
Co. B, 1st PA Rifles

Mana: 

javal1 wrote:
I used to spend a lot of time in the Mountainville area. Bowled at Mountainville Lanes, bent my elbow often at what I believe was just called the Mountainville Hotel, and once dated a waitress at the Sunrise Diner over on South 4th. Haven't been back in 13 years, so I have no idea if any of those places still exist. Good memories.

Were your ancestors in A-town as well? If so I'd be surprised if you didn't have any in the 153rd Pa. Infantry.

I live in what used to be Mountainville. Both the lanes and the Sunrise (which just got a beautiful renovation several years ago) still exist. Not sure about the hotel though.

Most of my ancestry seems to have been from Berks or Schuylkill county. I would love to find someone from the 153rd though.

Posted: Thu Aug 11th, 2011 11:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
PA Bucktail
Co. B, 1st PA Rifles

Mana: 

pamc153PA wrote:
And speaking of the 153rd PA (thanks, Joe!). . .

Welcome, Bucktail, from another Pennsylvanian! I grew up in Quakertown, frequented Allentown quite often, and have ancestors from Saucon Valley, one of which served in the 153rd PA, Co. C. He was wounded on Day 1 at Gettysburg (Barlow Knoll)died 27 days later in Harrisburg.

Enjoy the forum--there are a lot of good and knowledgeable people here!

Adam Epler of Company E of the 151st PA fought at Gettysburg and survived to see his company muster out later in the month. With the losses the 151st suffered (367 out of 478 men were casualties), it is a wonder that he survived.

Current time is 11:28 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3267 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 28 queries executed.