Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Gas Prices & Civil War Touring - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Apr 26th, 2006 12:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

A while back we had a popular thread on what Civil War battlefields folks were planning on visiting this touring season. So I'm curious: with gas hovering at the $3 per gallon mark and expected to go higher, what effect will gas prices have on your battlefield tromping plans?

I can say without hesitation that it will certainly put a crimp in ours. We even think twice before visiting Franklin, only 90 minutes away. That's a trip which last season we'd take without a second thought. Curious to see if it will have the same effect on others....

Posted: Thu Apr 27th, 2006 12:11 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
TimHoffman01

Mana: 

As of this moment, Gas in Mechanicsville, VA is $2.99 a gallon.:(  (I wish they had a choaking smilie, but I didn't see one, or maybe a Barfing one.)  If I could safely ride a Bicycle to the local sites I surely would, but dogone it they don't put shoulders on the sides of the roads any more and I've already been run OFF the road twice in the past couple of years and just don't feel safe.

That aside, trips will probably be fewer but they just can't be cut out.  I still need to get the kids out of my wife's hair from time to time, and we can't walk everywhere.  Then there is the paid-for family vacation in June.   I do plan to combine as many things into these trips as possible though.  The trip in June will offer an opportunity to see places we've never seen before and probably won't for quite some time. (We're going to Florida, so there will be a chance to drop by Olustee to see if anything much is there, and Fort Pulaski in Georgia (this one is definite)).  Going to the Grandparents offers chances for the 1864 Overland Campaign (my parents) or Ft. Monroe, the Yorktown, and Hampton Roads (My Wife's parents.)  Please note, we ARE talking about combined trips here, ones we would have made anyhow, not special trips just to see the parks.  So, I guess it does but somewhat of a crimp in things.

Posted: Thu Apr 27th, 2006 04:49 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
susansweet2

Mana: 

Being way out here on the left coast I am so far away from any Civil War site except the Drum Barracks that will be the only one I see this summer.  Even that is costing me at 3.15 a gallon for regular unleaded.  My drive there each week is expensive. 

I had hoped to drive cross country to see the battlefields in Franklin area, visit my cousin in Memphis and continue on to South Carolina and Vriginia.  next spring .  Now who knows,  

Posted: Thu Apr 27th, 2006 04:49 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
susansweet2

Mana: 

Last edited on Thu Apr 27th, 2006 12:48 pm by susansweet2

Posted: Thu Apr 27th, 2006 01:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
MAubrecht

Mana: 

javal - I can attest to the fact that most of the gas stations around here (Fredericksburg) seem to raise their prices slightly as tourist season approaches (at least that is my theory). For instance, I get on/off at the Thornburg Exit everyday (which is where the Stonewall Jackson Shrine is) and I pay between 2.65-2.85 (or 90) a gallon (on average). Three times a week I drive past the Fredericksburg battlefield and sometimes Chancellorsville and Spotsy (depending on family activities) and the gas is slightly higher most of the time. As you get close to Old Town Fredericksburg, they are cheaper (as many people park and walk everywhere), but the closer you get to any I-95 exit, the more you pay. This is understandable as many tourists get off there to fill up on the way to other destinations, but to us locals, it really hits us in the wallet. Its to the point now where people debate whether to fill up their cars and trucks, or their lawn tractor, boat, or other "vehicles." I own 2 SUVs and I'm really paying the price!

Last edited on Thu Apr 27th, 2006 01:09 pm by MAubrecht

Posted: Thu Apr 27th, 2006 02:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
kj3553
Born in the wrong century

Mana: 

As someone else who doesn't live close to the action, I have to say that I, too, have put off trips -- not just to Civil War battlefields (the closest of which are a good day's drive from where I live),  but shorter day trips that I used to take all the time. I shouldn't even get started on what appears to be deliberate manipulation of the price of gasoline -- from the speculators who jack up the price of crude every time someone burps, to the pathetic explanations used every time they want to raise the price of gas.

I'm not naive or stupid, and know full well that there are very real and very serious issues out there that have an impact on the cost of oil and how that is passed on to us, the consumers. But when I look back on how companies like Enron deliberately manipulated the energy market back a few years ago, and read these days of the absolutely obscene profits being made by the major oil companies, it's going to take a lot to convince me that there's not something fishy going on. But, it seems I've gotten off topic...;)

Bottom line? I put off a trip to Gettysburg and Antietam last year because of high fuel prices, and nope, I won't be doing much if any traveling this year, either.

~KJ

You have chosen to ignore indy19th. click Here to view this post

Posted: Fri Apr 28th, 2006 03:45 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Cap

Mana: 

MAubrecht wrote: ...... but the closer you get to any I-95 exit, the more you pay. This is understandable as many tourists get off there to fill up on the way to other destinations,
Michael, I'll tolerate the gas prices along I-95...I just have a hard time accepting how much of it is wasted sitting on that long parking lot called a roadway:). Zero to 60 to zero in a half a mile....LOL. Great area though which is why we always keep going back. We love staying in Stafford which puts us close to just about everything including DC. The current prices do however play into how many trips we will take per year.

Cap

Posted: Fri Apr 28th, 2006 04:18 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Basecat

Mana: 

Evening all.

While I know the prices are nuts, am not going to let it affect my travel plans.  Having been cooped up here in NJ since last November, and dealing with the various health issues that my Dad and Sister are going thru, I know I need to get away even if it is only a weekend jaunt. 

I was in Gettysburg this past weekend, and while I had the drive from hell going and returning from Pennsylvania, it was just great to be outside and doing something I enjoy.  Also realized how much I missed it.

You only live once, and no way am I gonna allow the oil companies to screw up my travel plans.

Hope all are well.

Regards from the Garden State,

Steve Basic

Posted: Fri Apr 28th, 2006 08:19 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
susansweet2

Mana: 

I am here in Huntington Beach California.  I go to Ashland Oregon each year , twice a year to see theatre.  It is my other major activitiy .  I bought all my tickets for the season in October.  I will be leaving to drive the 700 miles tomorrow.  I paid 3.17 cents for gas.  70.70 was the total on the pump.  I swear I stood and stared at it for a long period of time.  Then I started figuring two tanks up and two tanks home.  That is now.  I already have tickets for August .  Who know what it will be then. 

They already had raised the price of the tickets the last couple of years, Then last year I found out the hotel I have stayed in for a couple of years has raised their prices a great deal.  This is my last year to go .I am retired on a fixed income.  I have now been priced out of going. 
I had planned to not go next year anyway as I want to do another cross country drive seeing as many battlefields as possible in a two month trip.  Now who knows. 

The only thing I am thankful for is my van takes regular gas.  I have kept a gas journal since I retired ad started  this exploration of America.  I kept it up at home for the fun of it but it has been an eye opener.  I now pay 11 dollars more a tankful for the same amount of gas as I did last year!!!!  That shocked me .  

Posted: Fri Apr 28th, 2006 12:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Tigerreb

Mana: 

Could someone explain to me why people have problems with gas at $3 a gallon, yet don't groan, moan, and bi...  when they pay $6.00 a gallon for a half/liter of water?

JIMT

PS - Luckily there will be three people going to the shanendoah this year, each paying their fair share

Posted: Fri Apr 28th, 2006 03:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
David White

Mana: 

I think it is interesting how people "turn Communist" on the price of oil.  I think to an extent we are paying the price of congress, who seems to be screaming the loudest, allowing consolidation of the oil industry.  But moreso on the good old supply and demand curves we learned about in Economics 101.  The increasing demand in India and China for limited refined oil (not necessarily raw oil supplies) is going to keep driving prices up IMO.  As to the obscene profits of the oil industry, yes the dollars are at an all time high (go back to my mention of the increased demand) but their actual profit margins are below what my company makes in its industry and there are several companies in my industry doing better than us.  Should congress step in and regulate our profit margins as "too obscene?"

The beauty of the Free Enterprise system is that if the "awl bidness"  was so lucrative people would be jumping in to make a "killin'" but with too much govt. regulation and profit margins below other industries, why would you do that?

Sorry to sidetrack the discussion, I know this probably goes in the politics board but with all the news and stupid ideas like mailing everyone a $100 check I couldn't resist the rant.

Last edited on Fri Apr 28th, 2006 03:15 pm by David White

You have chosen to ignore Tom Wiehle. click Here to view this post

Current time is 03:40 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1881 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 29 queries executed.