Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Battle of Franklin - The Battle of Franklin - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Apr 26th, 2006 02:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

The thread about the John Bell Hood website was starting to turn into a Franklin thread, so I figured I'd open one. I have a question for Eric, SamHood, or anyone else who knows the area well. Other questions, comments, etc. about Franklin can be placed here as well.

As you know there is currently a boy's club, or possibly a YMCA, adjacent to the Carter House on the north side. From Eric's book and other sources, I understand there were Carter House outbuildings north of the house. So am I correct in assuming that these outbuildings were on the land where the YMCA sits now? And if so, would that put Opdycke's location (before plugging the hole) in the parking lot of the old mall that is adjacent to the YMCA on the north? I realize it's minutae, but I like to picture things the way they were :)

Also, the south side of the old Pizza Hut property featues a sharp drop-off of 5-10 feet. Would you say that's the exact location of that section of the outer works?

You have chosen to ignore Eric. click Here to view this post

Posted: Thu Apr 27th, 2006 02:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Eric,

Thanks alot for this perspective. Certainly changes the picture of those two areas in my mind.

I have one more question for you when you get the time. You're familiar no doubt with how the intersection of the RR and Lewisburg Pike looks today. Yet there are many references to the RR cut in your book and others. Can you clear up for me what that area looked like then compared to now? Is the current Lewisburg Pike running the same course as the old? Was the "cut" where the crrent LP intersects the RR? Appreciate your help clearing this up for me.

You have chosen to ignore Savez. click Here to view this post

Posted: Sat Apr 29th, 2006 03:04 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
samhood

Mana: 

Eric and Javal:

Seems I recall David Fraley once telling me that the elevation of the RR tracks in the area of the Lewisburg Pike crossing has been raised since 1864.  You might want to keep that in mind when walking and interpreting the ground.  

Posted: Mon May 15th, 2006 07:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

For those of us who live and breath Franklin, this is a very cool story. It'll be in the news section of CWi tomorrow, but I couldn't wait...

Civil War enthusiasts rally around tattered flag

"... The flag was issued in February 1864 and was carried at the front of one of Mississippi's most famous regiments, under Lt. Gen. William Joseph Hardee and Maj. Gen. Patrick Ronayne Cleburne.

Carrying the flag was Cpl. Joseph T. McBride. He was killed at the Battle of Franklin while attempting to breach the Federal Works near Fountain B. Carter's cotton gin.

The gun smoke was so thick, soldiers walked with their hands in front of their faces to help them breathe.

"It was a deadly honor to be a color guard because he was the first person people shot at," Tarr said. "The other side would want to try and cause confusion. No matter what side of the war you fought on, the flag was about gallantry and bravery in fighting."

Lose the flag, and morale was lost.

Somehow, a 17-year-old union private named John Gregory with the 2nd Indiana Light Artillery came across the flag....."

Posted: Fri May 19th, 2006 11:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
Steven Cone

Mana: 

Gentleman , pleasure  to be here with yall.

As my passion for this particluar battle  grown over the past several years Its amazing that I have not meet any of you in person even though I have  been in the same area or event.

Eric,
I like to thank you  once again for your wonderful book..   And for spreading the word on Johnson's Division Night Attack.

Sam,
A pleasure to meet you sir being that your a relative of Gen Hood.    Thomas &  David  from the Carter House speak highly of you.

Regards,
Steven

Posted: Sat May 20th, 2006 01:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Welcome to the board Steven. I seem to remember your name as being rather active in CWi several years ago. Did you used to go by the moniker "Lil' Steve"? Either way, welcome...always good to have more Franklin-centric folk aboard!

Posted: Sat May 20th, 2006 03:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
Steven Cone

Mana: 

Yes I did ,,  I had some computer troubles  for a bit then  with the forum crash couldnt ever seem to get logged in  and  Know I got  fixed as will .. So now I back  so  to speak.

regards, steven

Posted: Fri May 26th, 2006 03:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
samhood

Mana: 

Steve:

It has been a very long while, but our paths have crossed before...seems your name was in my e-address book for a long time.  Perhaps we had met at some Carter House event, or corresponded via email previously on some subject.  Good to hear from you again.

Posted: Sat May 27th, 2006 04:10 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
Steven Cone

Mana: 

Now that mention it I do recall  corrisponding with by email  a few times..

regards,

Steven

You have chosen to ignore sixthtennessee. click Here to view this post

Posted: Thu Aug 10th, 2006 06:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
Steven Cone

Mana: 

Any one going to the Franklin - Eatern Flank Battlefield  Tour  Aug. 19th

Posted: Thu Sep 14th, 2006 12:01 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
bschulte
Siege of Petersburg Fan

Mana: 

I saw there was a Franklin thread, so I figured I'd post here.  I have been writing out a multi-part blog entry on Eric Jacobson's Spring Hill and Franklin book for Cause and For Country and in the latest entry concerning the Battle of Franklin I decided to do a lengthy comparison and contrast using Eric  and Wiley Sword, author of The Confederacy's Last Hurrah.  After summarizing Jacobson's account of the battle, you'll see 14 key controversies and questions I came up with to take a closer look at.  These questions are (and their answers are in the blog entry due to length concerns):

1. Why didn't Hood order up Lee's Corps and the artillery sooner?  Did Lee's absence affect the eventual outcome?

2. Was a flanking move  by Forrest (instead of a frontal attack) likely to succeed or even possible?

3. Did an angry John Bell Hood "punish" Cheatham, Cleburne, and their men for their supposed failings when attacking breastworks?

4. If he didn't punish his men, why DID Hood attack?

5. Why did Wagner decide to stay in an advanced position despite overwhelming odds?

6. Why did the Carter family remain in their house on the front lines?

7. Who broke first, Conrad or Lane?

8. Cockrell's Brigade or Sears': Who attacked first in French's Division?

9. Featherston's Brigade took massive casualties in a railroad cut from enfilading artillery fire.  Was there any way to avoid this?

10. How do both authors describe the death of Cleburne?

11. Opdycke suggested after the war that he beat CONFEDERATE soldiers over the head with a pistol, rather than just his own Union stragglers.  Was he telling the truth?

12. David Stanley received a painful wound across the back of his neck during the fight.  First, did Jacob Cox suggest that Stanley leave the field to get his wound dressed?  Second, did Stanley really leave the field?  Third, did Stanley deserve a Medal of Honor for his role in the Battle of Franklin?

13. John Adams and his brigade were being slaughtered as they attempted to cross the Osage orange barrier.  Adams suddenly spurred his horse to the left, finding an opening in the trees.  As he galloped toward the Union line both he and his horse were shot.  Where did Adams and his horse fall?  Within or without the Union lines?

14. Patrick Dowling, inspector general of Moore's Brigade, gathered together available units including the 101st Ohio to save the 111th Ohio's left flank.  How crucial was this move to the final outcome of the battle?

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts both here and in my blog comments!  At the very least, I'm hoping to get a good discussion going.

Posted: Thu Sep 14th, 2006 06:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Brett -

Just finished reading your comparative analysis on the above questions. Fantastic job! I'd encourage everyone to head over to your blog to check it out.

One question I've often asked myself, and I can't remember if Eric or Sword touched on it. Most of the talk regarding flanking center on the Confederate right/ Union left. What about a flank move the other way (to the west of Privet Knob)? There may be something terrain-wise that made it impractical, but I wonder if it was considered.

Also, since the flooded river was bad enough to block the Union from continuing to Nashville, would that same flooded river (which practically surrounds Franklin) made ANY flanking move impractical?

Anyway, great job on the comparison pieces. I follow it faithfully.

Current time is 10:33 amPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3657 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 34 queries executed.