Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Battle of Franklin - The Battle of Franklin - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Sep 14th, 2006 06:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
bschulte
Siege of Petersburg Fan

Mana: 

javal1 wrote: Brett -

Just finished reading your comparative analysis on the above questions. Fantastic job! I'd encourage everyone to head over to your blog to check it out.

One question I've often asked myself, and I can't remember if Eric or Sword touched on it. Most of the talk regarding flanking center on the Confederate right/ Union left. What about a flank move the other way (to the west of Privet Knob)? There may be something terrain-wise that made it impractical, but I wonder if it was considered.

Also, since the flooded river was bad enough to block the Union from continuing to Nashville, would that same flooded river (which practically surrounds Franklin) made ANY flanking move impractical?

Anyway, great job on the comparison pieces. I follow it faithfully.

javal1,

Thanks!  I think it was possible to attack the Union right terrain-wise, but there just wasn't enough time to get the job done.  As it was, the Confederates attacked at 4 P.M., and in late November, the sun sets not long afterward.  Still, that's an interesting question.  Maybe Eric will happen along and read this thread and he can shed some light on it.

Brett

Posted: Thu Sep 14th, 2006 07:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
Steven Cone

Mana: 

1. Why didn't Hood order up Lee's Corps and the artillery sooner?  Did Lee's absence affect the eventual outcome?

Pherhaps he thought they werent needed.. Hood Did have artillery with  him.. And they were used .
3. Did an angry John Bell Hood "punish" Cheatham, Cleburne, and their men for their supposed failings when attacking breastworks?
NO

4. If he didn't punish his men, why DID Hood attack?

I think  he though it was last chance to catch  before nashville

5. Why did Wagner decide to stay in an advanced position despite overwhelming odds?
It would be  ones duty as Soldier to obey orders.  And thats what he did
6. Why did the Carter family remain in their house on the front lines?

They were told that more than likely there would be no battle ..  

& when the bullets started flying it was to late to get out of the way..

9. Featherston's Brigade took massive casualties in a railroad cut from enfilading artillery fire.  Was there any way to avoid this?

Not knowing the area  and the lack  time caused this.

11. Opdycke suggested after the war that he beat CONFEDERATE soldiers over the head with a pistol, rather than just his own Union stragglers.  Was he telling the truth?

I would say so..

13. John Adams and his brigade were being slaughtered as they attempted to cross the Osage orange barrier.  Adams suddenly spurred his horse to the left, finding an opening in the trees.  As he galloped toward the Union line both he and his horse were shot.  Where did Adams and his horse fall?  Within or without the Union lines?

It was on top of the works

Posted: Thu Sep 14th, 2006 08:01 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
bschulte
Siege of Petersburg Fan

Mana: 

Steven Cone wrote: 1. Why didn't Hood order up Lee's Corps and the artillery sooner?  Did Lee's absence affect the eventual outcome?

Pherhaps he thought they werent needed.. Hood Did have artillery with  him.. And they were used .

Hood had only several batteries with him, a far cry from the number of units accoompanying Lee.

3. Did an angry John Bell Hood "punish" Cheatham, Cleburne, and their men for their supposed failings when attacking breastworks?
NO
Agreed
4. If he didn't punish his men, why DID Hood attack?
I think  he though it was last chance to catch  before nashville
Agreed

5. Why did Wagner decide to stay in an advanced position despite overwhelming odds?
It would be  ones duty as Soldier to obey orders.  And thats what he did
Cox ordered him to return to the main Union line at least twice, so when he stayed he wasn't obeying his latest orders.
6. Why did the Carter family remain in their house on the front lines?

They were told that more than likely there would be no battle ..  

& when the bullets started flying it was to late to get out of the way..
Agreed.

9. Featherston's Brigade took massive casualties in a railroad cut from enfilading artillery fire.  Was there any way to avoid this?

Not knowing the area  and the lack  time caused this.
Agreed.

11. Opdycke suggested after the war that he beat CONFEDERATE soldiers over the head with a pistol, rather than just his own Union stragglers.  Was he telling the truth?

I would say so..
You would more than likely be wrong, at least according to Eric Jacobson's book.
13. John Adams and his brigade were being slaughtered as they attempted to cross the Osage orange barrier.  Adams suddenly spurred his horse to the left, finding an opening in the trees.  As he galloped toward the Union line both he and his horse were shot.  Where did Adams and his horse fall?  Within or without the Union lines?
It was on top of the works
Again, according to Jacobson and Jack Casement, the Union Brigade commander there, the horse fell on the works, but Adams fell outside some distance away.

You have chosen to ignore EricJacobson. click Here to view this post

You have chosen to ignore EricJacobson. click Here to view this post

Posted: Thu Sep 14th, 2006 11:18 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
Steven Cone

Mana: 

I will have to go back a read Ericks Opdycke  section I missed that..

as well as the orders boy cox or I just forgoten about them.

I missed read the question on  Adams and his Horse,  you are correct Adams was outside the works.

Posted: Fri Sep 15th, 2006 04:38 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
27th Post
bschulte
Siege of Petersburg Fan

Mana: 

Steven,

Hey no big deal.  I just reread both books and did a comparison and contrast, so that's the only reason I have this much knowledge of these issues.  Honestly, if you didn't read my blog entry, you did a heckuva job just based on memory, something I doubt I'd be capable of.

Brett S.

Posted: Fri Sep 15th, 2006 05:41 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
Steven Cone

Mana: 

Its been a few since I read but being the Anv is just months away Its time to re read them..

The Battle of Franklin has a special place in my soul..  As I had a relative there in Deas Brigade & Manigault Brigade of Johnson Division.

And until resently it was long foregotten , but it has finally  gained the attention thats it needs.

Thanks to folks like Eric and Many others.

I have the two books you mention, as well as several others.. And who knows perhaps one day I will write  my on.

regards, Steven

Btw if you in the area stop by Franklin on the anv.  Its  a Moving experiance  to walk to the Carter House from Winstead Hill..  And I havent missed a march  the last 7 years

Posted: Mon Sep 10th, 2007 07:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
29th Post
ArtorBart

Mana: 

A very under-"appreciated" battle. Can't wait 'til the eastern flank/golf course is reclaimed and interpreted. Visited Franklin in 2000. Hopefully the "link-up" of Pizza Hut site plus strip mall makes nice walking tour from Carter House. Love the shady McGavock Cemetery.

CAN YOU TELL ME HOW/WHERE TO GET A COPY OF ERIC'S BOOK? Cost? Shipping? Etc. Many thanks!

I cried when reading "Five Tragic Hours" by McDonough and Connelly. This was not the Army of Tennessee's brightest hour when considering Hood's command decisions; however, the corps, division, brigade, and regimental leaders -- and, of course, the men in the ranks -- showed their finest qualities.

ArtorBart
Tampa, FL

Posted: Mon Sep 10th, 2007 07:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
30th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Bart -

For the book (and it is top-notch) go to http://www.civilwarinteractive.com/BattleofFranklin.htm 

Posted: Mon Sep 10th, 2007 08:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
31st Post
ArtorBart

Mana: 

Thank you for the quick reply, Javal. I did not search far enough on this site for the review.

I can send some business Eric's way.

ArtorBart/Librarian

Posted: Sat Mar 15th, 2008 04:20 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
32nd Post
formeryank

Mana: 

Hello All,
I am new to this board.
I invite folks to take a look at a few pieces I've written on the Battle of Franklin and some other CW topics including a critical review of "Ode to the Confederate Dead" by Allen Tate, an appreciation of "Lee in the Mountains" and "For the Union Dead".
Comments welcome of course...
http://booksfilmandmusic.com/2008/01/05/schofield-and-wagner-at-the-battle-of-franklin/

formerYank

Posted: Fri Mar 28th, 2008 08:03 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
33rd Post
ole

Mana: 

formeryank:

An outstanding article much appreciated!

ole

Posted: Sun Jul 31st, 2011 02:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
34th Post
pender

Mana: 

Has any one seen Civil War Combat's,  the battle of Franklin ? I think it was one of the best of the series. I have read a few book's on the battle, but a couple of thing's were brought to my attention in this episode. Number one was when the confederate army of Tennessee marched into the state of thier name sake. Someone had placed a banner that read "Tennessee a grave or a free home". Does anyone know much about this ? Was it a citizen that placed this banner was it a soldier? Maybe no one know's. But if any one does I would like to hear about it. Number two after the fiasco at Spring Hill. Gen. Hood was in a rage with his genreal's for letting the union army pass unmolested. In effect Gen. Hood called the confederate army of Tennessee coward's. Gen. Forrest took out his sword and threaten to kill Hood. According to the episode a young girl was serving the officer's cookies when this happen's. She is immediately asked to leave after this happen's. The source of this story come's from her. Would any of the member's like to elaborate on this story?

Pender 

Current time is 03:44 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1985 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 30 queries executed.