Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Going to Richmond..... - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Oct 20th, 2011 05:46 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Michael F. Blake

Mana: 

does anyone have any suggestions of what to see?

I am planning on seeing Museum of the Confederacy. I am hoping to try to visit Petersburg and/or Fredricksburg and/or Appomattox.

My problem is I am working on the LINCOLN movie, so my time off may be limited to one or two days for a few weeks.

Posted: Thu Oct 20th, 2011 09:07 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
fedreb

Mana: 

In Richmond as well as the MOC the museum at the old Tredegar Iron Works is worth a visit as is Hollywood Cemetery.
If you are going to Petersburg then a visit to Pamplin Park is a great way to spend a few hours.

Posted: Thu Oct 20th, 2011 11:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

I second fedreb, Michael. In Richmond, there's the MoC, and the Confederate White House, but it's all sandwiched between hospital and university buildings downtown, so they lose their CW feel. I loved Hollywood Cemetery, tho it's in a not so nice part of town. The views of the city from there are terrific. Check out the GettysburgDaily site; they've had several posts on various CW soldiers, famous and not, buried there.

There's not really anything to see in Petersburg itself; I had a great-aunt who lived there, and even she would admit that! Pamplin is nearby there, and it's worth the trip, but they were having some issues with when they were open, so maybe you should call ahead.

If you want Fredericksburg/Chancellorsville, then you're going about an hour north up I95. If you do that, it'll be harder with a tight schedule to decide what NOT to see than what to see, since you are also within range of the Wilderness, Spotsylvania, Salem Church, Guinea Station (where Stonewall Jackson died), Ellwood (where Jackson's arm is buried), and Chatham Manor (Burnside's HQ during the Fredericksburg campaign. See what I mean?

Whatever you choose, and whatever you can fit in--enjoy it!

P.S. I think it's rather fitting that a CW buff is working on the Lincoln film!

Last edited on Thu Oct 20th, 2011 11:33 pm by pamc153PA

Posted: Fri Oct 21st, 2011 10:16 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Berkley Plantation should be somewhere near Petersburg. Keep in mind it was 25 years since I went there and was 12 at the time (family vacation, we hit Berkley Plantation on the way in and Petersburg on the way out). It's the site of the first English Thanksgiving (which occured a year before the Pilgrims arrived in Massachusetts and two years before they held what's called the first Thanksgiving) and also vthe ancesteral home of Presidents William Henry Harrison and Benjamin Harrison. But in terms of the Civil War it is the site where Taps is supposed to have been first written and played. Federal troops occupied the plantation during the war with Lincoln visiting the place to confere with McClellan And back in the '80s there was still a cannon ball from the war lodged in the house itself.

Current time is 08:34 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1999 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 26 queries executed.