Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Franklin Charge - The Battle of Franklin - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Nov 20th, 2011 11:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
csamillerp

Mana: 

i agree with hellcat, the south lost the war because of lack of supply, which you could say was a direct result of the andaconda plan. But can anyone disagree that if the south had an equal footing in the war in reference to man power and supply that the war most likely would have sided with the south? The war lasted so long because the south had winning generals before the north did, at least in the east.

The east was the heart of both armies, you could destroy the rest of the body but the heart would continue to beat. By taking Richmond and destroying the ANV the north would have killed the confederacy almost immediately due to morale... and the same goes the other way around.

Posted: Mon May 7th, 2012 03:15 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
rafaelwinston23

Mana: 

csamillerp wrote: The east was the heart of both armies, you could destroy the rest of the body but the heart would continue to beat. By taking Richmond and destroying the ANV the north would have killed the confederacy almost immediately due to morale... and the same goes the other way around.
i  agree...

Last edited on Tue Jul 10th, 2012 01:56 pm by rafaelwinston23

Posted: Mon May 7th, 2012 02:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
Old North State

Mana: 

But the heart can't beat without a supply of energy.  For the Confederacy, that energy was coming from the West. Virginia's supplies were used up.  North Carolina was holding onto her supplies.  South Carolina never had much.  When the West was won by the North, the heart would beat only so long as the energy at hand would last.  That was only a few months.

Posted: Wed Feb 12th, 2014 08:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
wondering

Mana: 

ser=2047]pamc153PA[/user] wrote:
However, when I think of grit and tenacity against the odds, I think of the Army of Tennessee.

I have the same sentiment. Tennessee provided more soldiers to the war per capita than any other state. In my humble opinion Tennesseans embodied a freeholder spirit greater than any plantation owner (nobody fell out from charges at Franklin). Of course it was mostly soldiers from Alabama and Mississippi, but given equal supply and numbers, in my humble opinion, their fighting ethos was unmatched.

Hood proved more reckless than even Lee at Gettysburg, and his men showed heart of a kind that still makes one bow his head. After Franklin, for all intents and purposes, it really was over. I am impressed that members here seem to care for history more than grinding axes. Knowledge of the past is a true faith, without window dressing or propaganda. Bravo for a most excellent thread.

Current time is 09:46 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2988 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 27 queries executed.