Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Hard Work, No Pay - Apply Here - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon May 15th, 2006 03:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Folks,

I notice that we have many excellent writers here on the board, some professional, some not. We would like to ramp up our book reviews, and thought maybe some of you would like the chance.

While we can't pay for reviews (hey, we're a free site!), you will get to keep the book you review, plus a byline and short bio on the review. If you have reviewed for CWi or other media outlets before, and are interested in any of the below books, you can reply to this thread or send an e-mail to CWi. If you're a first-time author, send a sample review of any book of your choice, just so we can gauge your ability.

The drawback to this is we need very quick turn-around time (2-3 weeks). To see previously published reviews, check here. The following titles are available now:

"The Civil War as a Theological Crisis" by Mark Noll. (TAKEN)

"The Shenandoah Valley Campaign of 1864" edited by Gary Gallagher

"Words For The Hour: A New Anthology of American Civil War Poetry" edited by Faith Barrett

"The Battle of Hampton Roads" edited by Harold Holzer (TAKEN)

"Struggle for a Vast Future" edited by Aaron Sheehan-Dean

"The Civil War: A Concise Account by a Noted Sothern Historian" by Grady McWhiney

We are also always interested in Civil War related articles, editorials, etc. Query to CWi.

Last edited on Sat May 20th, 2006 09:41 pm by javal1

Posted: Mon May 15th, 2006 03:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
David White

Mana: 

Javal:

I'd be interested in Gallagher, Holzer or McWhinney.

Posted: Mon May 15th, 2006 03:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

David,

You've written top-notch reviews for us in the past...glad you responded. If Hampton Roads is OK with you, I'll send it tomorrow. E-mail your postal address to us at info@civilwarinteractive.com . I probably still have it somewhere from your trivia win, but just in case (btw, you should have received your trivia prize recently. If not, let me know)

Posted: Tue May 16th, 2006 02:34 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
MAubrecht

Mana: 

Javal, although I cannot take on any more assignments at this time, I will continue to repost copies of my FLS reviews on the Message Board. I don't think they can be reprinted on your site "officially", but I am more than happy to continue sharing them with your members. I am looking forward to reading these upcoming reviews.

Posted: Wed May 17th, 2006 12:56 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

MA,

Certainly understand the "rights" issue, and also the over-worked issue! Glad to hear you'll be posting unofficially at least. Love your reviews. Thanks.

Posted: Tue May 30th, 2006 02:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

David White's book review of "The Battle of Hampton Roads" has been posted and can be found here. Thanks David for another excellent review!

Posted: Tue May 30th, 2006 03:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
David White

Mana: 

Thanks Javal.  I got on a writing roll this weekend.  A history of war crimes for the Civil War Roundtable newsletter on Friday, read the book on Saturday and wrote the review on Sunday.  Believe it or not it was fun.  Monday went to the pool and harrassed the kids.

Current time is 03:12 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3415 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 26 queries executed.