Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

the real turning point in the war - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
Poll
In your opinion what was the true turning point in the war?
10 (0.00%)
26 (42.86%)
35 (35.71%)
44 (28.57%)
50 (0.00%)
61 (7.14%)
14 votes

Vote 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Nov 25th, 2011 05:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
csamillerp

Mana: 

I think everyone has their own opinion on what the true turning point in the war was. So i wanted to create a poll to see what the majority of you believed WAS the turning point.

*** IF i have left one off the list please make a note of it and voice your opinion as a message.

Posted: Fri Nov 25th, 2011 07:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Old Blu

Mana: 

Stonewall's death.

Posted: Fri Nov 25th, 2011 08:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
fedreb

Mana: 

For me the turning point of the war was Grant being given overall command of the Union armies.
When he ordered the AotP to turn south after being mauled in the Wilderness the writing was on the wall for the Confederacy.

Posted: Sat Nov 26th, 2011 12:33 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

In my opinion, the Confederacy lost the western theater at Shiloh, and thus the war in the west.
Had the Federal army been destroyed there, Union chances in the west would have taken years to recover, Grant & Sherman would be historical footnotes and Southern moral would have been immensley boosted. Elements of Confederate western forces could be transferred east to fight bumbling Union generals of 1862/63.

Posted: Sat Nov 26th, 2011 01:14 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
BHR62

Mana: 

Antietam...first strategic defeat of the ANV. Led to the Proclamation of Emancipation and drove the final nail into any hope of British intervention.

Posted: Sat Nov 26th, 2011 04:18 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
csamillerp

Mana: 

So far i agree with everyone of those. i think they all led to a final turning point of the war which was Gettysburg, after which Lee couldnt effectively mount an offensive campaign... but Fedreb in my opinion hit the nail on the hammer. Given time Lee could have replaced the loses he suffered at Gettysburg and regained the ability to take the war to the north. But because of Grant not allowing Lee the opportunity to regain his strenth he attacked Lee's most vunerable weakness. But Grant would never have come east if he hadnt shown great sucess in the west which honed his tactics that he would later use on lee. Lee probably would have won in my opinion Gettysburg if Jackson had not died. If it wasnt for Antietam Lincoln wouldnt have had a foot to stand on when he gave is Emancipation Proclamation and england may have helped the south. If it wasnt for Atlanta Lincoln may not have won re-election... So are they all tied together in being a turning point? If i had to give one definitive answer it would have to be the death of Stonewall, his death leads to too many what-ifs. The army of northern virginia was never the same afterwards

Posted: Sat Nov 26th, 2011 04:20 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
csamillerp

Mana: 

Sorry didnt mean to be so long winded i tend to type and think at the same time lol.

Posted: Sat Nov 26th, 2011 10:46 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
jojotater

Mana: 

Lincoln's relection. The North had the might to win the war all along. It is amazing the South lasted as long as it did--says alot for their men and officers. The North just needed the resolve to win. That was Lincoln.

John

http://civilwarnovel.com

Last edited on Sat Nov 26th, 2011 10:47 pm by jojotater

Posted: Sun Nov 27th, 2011 03:25 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
csamillerp

Mana: 

Well Lincoln most likely would not have been re-elected had Alanta not fallen. I agree Lincoln was the very backbone of the North had he been defeated at the polls in 64 then North would probably had lost the war.

Posted: Sun Nov 27th, 2011 10:05 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Without the Fall of Vicksburg Grant would not have been given command of the Division of the Mississippi and eventually brought back east. And Sherman would not have been able to take Atlanta as the Western Theater wouldn't have changed enough. Vicksburg falls then the Army of the Cumberland looses at Chickamauga which lead to Rosecrans falling back to Chattanooga. Grant and his Division of the Mississippi to support Chattanooga against Bragg and his Army of Tennessee. Grant is then put in overall command a Sherman, now commanding the Division of the Mississippi, then is able to begin moving on Atlanta. Sherman then captures Atlanta which help's Lincoln get re-elected.

Posted: Mon Nov 28th, 2011 03:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
csamillerp

Mana: 

Hellcat,

Without one event you cant have the other... but out which one had the biggest effect on the path of the war, which event irreversably changed the war?

Posted: Mon Nov 28th, 2011 01:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
BHR62

Mana: 

I voted for Antietam but a case could be made for Gettysburg.  That is where Lee's offensive power was destroyed.  When Grant came east Lee was faced with a relentless general that wouldn't allow him time to recover his losses.  The losses of Antietam and Gettysburg really came back to haunt him.

Last edited on Mon Nov 28th, 2011 01:59 pm by BHR62

Posted: Mon Nov 28th, 2011 02:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
Old North State

Mana: 

The war had many "zigs and zags" and many ups and downs. Each of those was a "turning point." Forts Henry and Donelson were early "turning points." Perhaps the war came down to which side had the most points that turned in their favor.

Posted: Mon Nov 28th, 2011 10:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
csamillerp

Mana: 

I agree with you Old North State, but I still believe there was the one deciding factor that changed the war. Every one of the voting options were very important, but some was less so compared to others. Antietam kept England from supporting the south... Vicksburg i think was a huge blow but not to the same extent that antietam was. If Antietam had not influenced England then it would have been just another battle... very bloody battle but never the less just another battle. Gettysburg left the ANV so weakened it could not easily replenish it's numbers lost. If you think about the previous battles Lee fought in he always replenished his losses. Why was Gettysburg different? Was it more because of the Commanders he lost?

Posted: Tue Jan 17th, 2012 03:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
General Sherman

Mana: 

I vote for capture of Vicksburg. I think from a strategical point of view it's the start of the end of confederacy.
Ciao
Luca

Posted: Tue Jan 17th, 2012 08:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
HankC

Mana: 

browns ferry.

the war was decided in the west.

to lose chattanooga in late 1863 and be back at nashville for the start of the 1864 campaign would easily have cost Lincoln the election and given the CSA victory...

Posted: Tue Jan 17th, 2012 11:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

I whole-heartedly agree with Hank......The War was won/lost in the West......Even the troops knew it in '63, '64.....
A GREAT book is Larry Daniles "Soldiering In the Army of Tennessee"......By the way, I am a big fan of Daniels' work......

Posted: Wed Jan 18th, 2012 10:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
csamillerp

Mana: 

I believe the west was the backbone of the confederacy, but the heart was Richmond and Lee. The fall of Vicksburg was a devastating defeat for the CSA, but the fall of Richmond and Petersburg was the final blow.

Posted: Thu Jan 19th, 2012 01:46 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

This is about the turning point. Richmond and Petersburg would seem more like part of the end game.

Posted: Thu Jan 19th, 2012 12:10 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
csamillerp

Mana: 

hellcat, that is why i said vicksburg was the backbone, by taking vicksburg the union broke the back of the confederacy, crippling them, richmond and petersburg was the killing blows. I still believe though that antietam was the most important turning point. Without the "victory" at antietam the north would have not been able to issue the Emancipation proclamation while also ending any hope of foriegn intervention for the south.

Current time is 03:17 pmPage:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4593 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 29 queries executed.