Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Lee and Jackson - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
Poll
Which General would win?

View Results

Vote 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Jan 20th, 2012 01:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
csamillerp

Mana: 

gettysburger, i'm a diehard southerner, my favorite general is maxcy gregg, my second is jackson and my third is hancock. no matter whether you are from the north or south we all have our bias opinions but i'll admit if a northern general was better then a southern general. the whole point in me opening this discussion was because i've heard by several members that Grant was the better general. when i think of the last year of the war in the eastern theatre i'm reminded of stalingrad. The only reason the russians won stalingrad was because of there superior numbers. Any General with an unlimited amount of troops and resources can defeat an army of starving underclad troops that might number 40,000, with little to no replacements. I agree that Grant had the balls to do what other generals wouldnt, and realizing that he could do it because of the norths resources. I guess a good question would be, could grant have done the same if he had been promoted in '62?

Posted: Fri Jan 20th, 2012 01:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
Gettysburger

Mana: 

csamillerp, thanks for your reply to my comment.
I thought just maybe you might be a die hard southerner!

Yes, you are correct, we all have our biases regarding everything.

I have always had a great respect for General Lee and Jackson talents on and off the battlefield. There is no question Gen. Lee was a brilliant tactician
and strategist on the battlefield especially given the CSA's
limited manpower and materiel.

No one knew General Lee's abilities more then Lincoln.

General Grant had so much more to work with and used what he had to great advantage most of the time. He certainly knew and/or learned the importance of siege warfare to his
benefit.

But I believe it's hard to compare the two Generals or the two armies since they were so incredible different.

I realize it is always interesting to compare the 2 on a Civil war board and see how the discussion unravels with all the input!

Finally, I too celebrated Lee-Jackson weekend a few days back!

thom

Posted: Fri Jan 20th, 2012 01:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
Gettysburger

Mana: 

ps,,,csamillerp,,,,on a little different note,,,,if i might ask,
who might you be favoring in the palmetto primary tomorrow?

thanks.
tgp

Posted: Fri Jan 20th, 2012 01:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
csamillerp

Mana: 

Lee knew what it would take to destroy his army, he hit on it several times when saying that one day the north would find a general that knew how to fight. He realized grant was that man after the battle of the wilderness. Lee knew he was going to be defeated unless he could spill enough northern blood that the U.S would end the war. I think Lee knew that wouldnt really happen though but he owed it to the common soldier to fight as long as it was a possiblity. I have alot of respect for grant, he was an amazing general but i think, IMO that lee was the better between the two.

Posted: Sat Jan 21st, 2012 06:06 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

If we're talking which general was the better general then I don't have any qualms in saying Lee over Grant. If we're talking which general was ultimately more successful, I have to go with Grant over Lee. They met in battle at least fourteen times, of that number Lee won nine battles to Grants five. With fewer men and supplies Lee was still able to defeat Grant at least nine times. But ultimately Grant takes Petersburg, then Richmond falls, and finally Lee ends up surrendering to Grant, three events that prove crucial to the death of the Confederacy.

I'm not trying to deny Grant his due in saying Lee was the better general, but to say Grant was the better general because he ultimately defeated Lee is giving Grant too much due. I believe that the credit due to Grant in the Grant vs. Lee arguement is not that he ultimately defeated Lee but rather it's that he was willing to fight a war of attrition against Lee. As has been said several times, Grant was a bulldog who didn't simply back off and take a breather when he lost to Lee. He kept the pressure up, costing Lee troops and supplies he couldn't afford in the long run. If Grant lost a battle he just changed direction and kept going forward. He wasn't afraid to loose to Lee because he knew that each victory was actually more costly for Lee because he couldn't afford to replace the losses in quite the same way Grant could.

Posted: Sun Jan 22nd, 2012 03:05 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
csamillerp

Mana: 

i agree 100% hellcat, Grant was the best general the union had because of his tactics of never backing off, he understood what other federal generals either didnt understand or was too timid to risk. Lee was the best general for the south because he understood that his number of troops was his weakness, Grant, IMO was the biggest turning point in the war because given time Lee probably would have gained enough strength to invade the north which was the only way the south could have hoped to win the war, invade the north, defeat the federal army and threaten the big cities. Grant not allowing Lee the opportunity to regain his strength stole the only hope of victory the south still had other then lincoln losing election.

Current time is 03:49 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3235 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 29 queries executed.