Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Battle Cry of Freedom by James McPherson - Civil War Books - Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Jan 7th, 2012 01:46 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
BHR62

Mana: 

Currently reading Battle Cry of Freedom by McPherson.  I'm 180 pgs in on the 596 pg book.  Pretty interesting read.  He goes indepth into the pre-war politics and issues leading to the disunion.  Compares the industrial capacity, telegraph, and resources of the two sections.  Has anybody else read it?  One reviewer called it slanted north.  I readily admit that I have a biased northern view but I haven't noticed anything insulting to southerners in the book.  I had relatives on the southern side too, so I do respect southern feelings.  Anyway just curious if anyone else read it and what they thought of it.

Posted: Sat Jan 7th, 2012 03:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Mark

Mana: 

Yes, I've read it. I think the few people who dislike it are those who take issue with his argument that the war came about because of slavery. Great book by one of the few great historians of the Civil War. I believe it even won a Pulitzer. If you like McPherson, I would highly recommend his book, "For Cause and Comrades: Why Soldiers Fought in the Civil War." I hope you will continue to enjoy Battle Cry!

Mark

Posted: Sat Jan 7th, 2012 03:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

History is always told from a point of view.  Peoples' points of view differ. You don't necessarily have to agree with every position a historian takes in order to see value in his work.

Posted: Sat Jan 7th, 2012 07:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Mark

Mana: 

Well said TD.

Mark

Posted: Tue Jan 10th, 2012 01:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
HankC

Mana: 

could it be that history determines one's point of view rather than vice versa?

Posted: Tue Jan 10th, 2012 03:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Hank C-

As a physical anthropology undergrad almost half a century ago, I argued against what the sociology folks called the: "Blank Slate Theory." It was their view that the environment that one grew up in determined one's personality.

My argument was that the primary factor that was involved was one's genetic makeup, which was then influenced by one's environment. The two combined to develop one's personality.

In my case, my point of view when it comes to the Civil War was not determined by the environment that I grew up in, since most people who grew up where I did have a view of the Civil War that is different from mine.

Posted: Tue Jan 10th, 2012 05:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Wow, not sure I ever saw Tabula rasa infused into a CW discussion. Very nice - I'm impressed!

Posted: Wed Jan 11th, 2012 01:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
HankC

Mana: 

well said.

I should have said 'the study of history' rather than merely 'history'.

My poor point is that historians don't come to conclusions lightly. McPherson, Foner, et al, have forgotten more history than I'll ever know. They know how to find it, weigh it and incorporate it into their world view.

the tendency for me, and many, is to discard history that does not conform with our world view rather it changing our world view...

Posted: Wed Jan 11th, 2012 02:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
j harold 587

Mana: 

I feel that McPherson by analyzing the political and financial circustances that led to the ACW makes a powerfull argument that it was about slavery and allowing it into the new territories. As with most disagreements it is seldom one isolated factor that brings on the argument.

Posted: Wed Jan 11th, 2012 07:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
BHR62

Mana: 

The book is very good at getting to the core of our political problems in the 1840's and 50's. Slavery was the wedge that drove the two sections apart. It fueled the rise to power of the Republican party in 1856 & 58 elections. That rise was due to frustration in the North over Southern control over the Supreme Court and Congress. Plus the insistance in the south of spreading slavery into the western territories. War was inevitable.

Posted: Thu Jan 12th, 2012 10:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Barlow

Mana: 

Didn't the Duke Brothers in "Trading Places" have an argument about genetics versus environment and the bet was one dollar????

Posted: Sat Jan 14th, 2012 04:07 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
bolaman1975

Mana: 

BHR62 well said....i don't think it is biased one way or another...i think it gives you a good history leading up to the civil war and the causes and repercussions..

Current time is 04:04 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3365 seconds (29% database + 71% PHP). 25 queries executed.