Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

J.E.B Stuart - Other People of the Civil War - The Participants of the War - Mikitary & Civilian - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Jan 16th, 2012 11:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
IronHeart Nicky

Mana: 

General James "J.E.B" Stuart and his cavalry were the eyes of the Confederate army and he did a terrific job in his position so, why did he not show yp for several days when the Battle of Gettysburg took place?

Posted: Tue Jan 17th, 2012 01:18 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Mark

Mana: 

I think the biggest reason was Stuart's recent near-defeat at the battle of Brandy Station in early June. His cavalry was completely surprised by the yanks that they had ridden circles (literally in some cases) before and he had to save face and his honor by doing something spectacular. This led to Stuart's suggesting another ride around the Union army to Lee, who (demonstrating one of his few command faults) declined to give Stuart clear guidance. There was plenty of blame to go around. Hope that helps.

Mark

Posted: Mon Jul 23rd, 2012 08:59 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
carloshoward45

Mana: 

i agree...

Last edited on Sun Jul 29th, 2012 11:43 pm by carloshoward45

Posted: Wed Jul 25th, 2012 01:23 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Stuart's intentions may have been good, but his detour ended up taking longer than he anticipated because for one thing he was burdened and slowed by a large Union wagon train he captured and also he met some stiff opposition along his route. Lack of communication with Lee's Army further complicated matters. I often wonder how different that Civil War would have been if the Union and Confederates had just had cell phones.

Posted: Wed Jul 25th, 2012 07:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
HankC

Mana: 

Stuart also rode around the Union army at a critical time on the Peninsula in June 1862.

other than the campaign results, why is that 4-day ride considered successful and this one not?

Posted: Thu Jul 26th, 2012 12:03 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

My guess would be that Lee evidently wasn't completely dialed into Stuart's plans the second time. He kept wondering where Stuart was and why there had been no communication. Stuart's prolonged absence meant Lee had no trusted cavalry "eyes and ears" to keep him informed of Union positions and strength.

Some might blame Stuart for the fact that Confederates stumbled into Union regulars on the Chambersburg Pike with no notion of how many men they actually faced.

Posted: Thu Jul 26th, 2012 09:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Stuart arrived w/ much needed supplies, a wagon train of them. What he didn't arrive w/ was a good picture of the enemy. I think a lot more is made of the supposed failure of Stuart than was made at the time. Stuart was an easy scapegoat post war for the failure at Gettysburg because he was dead and unable to defend himself.

Given my druthers I would call Stuart & Hampton the two finest CS Cav officers East of the Appalachians and their only competition on the CS military being Forrest who was anything but a traditional Cav officer.

Posted: Sun Jul 29th, 2012 05:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
9Bama

Mana: 

Johan Steele wrote: Stuart arrived w/ much needed supplies, a wagon train of them. What he didn't arrive w/ was a good picture of the enemy. I think a lot more is made of the supposed failure of Stuart than was made at the time. Stuart was an easy scapegoat post war for the failure at Gettysburg because he was dead and unable to defend himself.

Given my druthers I would call Stuart & Hampton the two finest CS Cav officers East of the Appalachians and their only competition on the CS military being Forrest who was anything but a traditional Cav officer.

A strong opinion, my friend... one that I agree with

Posted: Sun Sep 9th, 2012 12:15 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Old Blu

Mana: 

Mark wrote: I think the biggest reason was Stuart's recent near-defeat at the battle of Brandy Station in early June. His cavalry was completely surprised by the yanks that they had ridden circles (literally in some cases) before and he had to save face and his honor by doing something spectacular. This led to Stuart's suggesting another ride around the Union army to Lee, who (demonstrating one of his few command faults) declined to give Stuart clear guidance. There was plenty of blame to go around. Hope that helps.

Mark

I disagree with this statement.  He was doing what General Lee ordered him to do.

Posted: Mon Oct 22nd, 2012 10:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Darryl

Mana: 

Alot of what you gents has written corellates with the facts, except Stuart ended having large bodies of Federal troops in his line of march. He had to march around them. This leads to the descision of the commander in the field, whether to obey the orders to the letter or continue on the mission under modified circumstances. Lee did give Stuart latitude to do what he did, if the conditions prevailed.
One thing that is never brought up is what did LEE do with the cavalry Stuart left behind? apparently he didn't use it as it should have been.
On the evning of 1 July, Stuart was where he was supposed to be. Because of the Union movements the couriers were not getting to him. He found out where the army had gone and made preparations to move toweards Gettysburg. He had scouting parties out all over the Pennsylvania countryside that he couldn't just leave. He did get moving and got to Gettysburg that evening. It was a good movement for the time. I've ridden in 85 degree plus weather, with full CW gear. Its exhausting to both you and the horse.
Stuart was stung by Brandy Station, but thanks to Brigadier Beverly Robertson, the Union did outflank him. Robertson ran after only a few minutes fighting. What is neglected is the fact the CSA inflicted twice as many losses and drove the Union force back across the river and held the battlefield. It was Robertson'e friends in the CSA congress that started all the crap against Stuart.
In my portrayal of Stuart I had to many times answer this question.

Posted: Mon Oct 22nd, 2012 10:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Darryl

Mana: 

Alot of what you gents has written corellates with the facts, except Stuart ended having large bodies of Federal troops in his line of march. He had to march around them. This leads to the descision of the commander in the field, whether to obey the orders to the letter or continue on the mission under modified circumstances. Lee did give Stuart latitude to do what he did, if the conditions prevailed.
One thing that is never brought up is what did LEE do with the cavalry Stuart left behind? apparently he didn't use it as it should have been.
On the evning of 1 July, Stuart was where he was supposed to be. Because of the Union movements the couriers were not getting to him. He found out where the army had gone and made preparations to move toweards Gettysburg. He had scouting parties out all over the Pennsylvania countryside that he couldn't just leave. He did get moving and got to Gettysburg that evening. It was a good movement for the time. I've ridden in 85 degree plus weather, with full CW gear. Its exhausting to both you and the horse.
Stuart was stung by Brandy Station, but thanks to Brigadier Beverly Robertson, the Union did outflank him. Robertson ran after only a few minutes fighting. What is neglected is the fact the CSA inflicted twice as many losses and drove the Union force back across the river and held the battlefield. It was Robertson'e friends in the CSA congress that started all the crap against Stuart.
In my portrayal of Stuart I had to many times answer this question.

Posted: Mon Oct 22nd, 2012 10:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
Darryl

Mana: 

sorry about the double posting. My computer froze on my then jumped. Newby mistake!

Current time is 07:08 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3636 seconds (8% database + 92% PHP). 27 queries executed.