Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Fold3 - Where to begin & how to get started - Genealogy - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Feb 1st, 2012 10:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Doc Ce

Mana: 

Just discovered fold3.com a direct access to the national archives for service and pension records. Some of it is free while most requires a fee which is very affordable. Cheaper and much easier than requesting the same info from the archives. Have really enjoyed looking up my ancestors service records and pension applications on this site.

Doc C

Posted: Thu Feb 2nd, 2012 08:02 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
BHR62

Mana: 

Doc this is a really cool site!  I've been going through the National Archives.  But this looks like a much better way of getting the information.  Thanks!

Posted: Fri Feb 3rd, 2012 04:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Cogswell Pepperbox
Did I Fire 6 Shots or Only 5 ?

Mana: 

I've been using this site for about two years now, before it changed it's name to "Fold3" & began emphasizing military records (altho they still host a wide range of other material).

They host ALL the available Combined Service Records of Union & Confederate soldiers, downloadable in huge, high definition .jpg image format. That alone was more than worth the subscription fee, which I believe was $125 a year at my last re-up.

Fold3 also hosts a very impressive collection of American Revolution records, and have recently added another collection of Mexican War records, which I've not yet had time to peruse.

Since I've been a subscriber for some time, I'm not sure what is accessible for free anymore; and I think that to view images, you have to register with the site, but to my knowledge, no credit card info is required.

Between this site, and the 100% free FHL site familysearch.org, I was able to leave the convoluted mess at Ancestry and never look back ...

Posted: Fri Feb 3rd, 2012 08:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
BHR62

Mana: 

Ancestry has helped me find ancestors but trying to see if they served or not can be ummm aggravating.  I'm on the free trial now.  Something that aggravates me is that Indiana, Iowa, Illinois, and Ohio Yank records don't show on fold3.com.  Is that because I'm on the free trial?  Right now they are charging $11.95 per month....or $80 for a year. 

Current time is 11:40 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1434 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 25 queries executed.