Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Sergeant Rank Assignments - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Apr 1st, 2012 08:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
tsmee

Mana: 

Hi all,

New to the forum, hoping to understand a little more about my ancestor's role in the Army during the civil war by trying to understand how enlisted rank was established. 

My 3rd Great Grandfather, George Bailey Weible, was mustered in Co. C of the 154th Illinois Infantry on Feb 17, 1865 as a Sergeant, and died while still in service at a rank of First Seargeant on June 25, 1865.

My questions are these:

1.) I can find no record of prior military service.  Why would an individual be mustered in as a Sergeant, and then promoted to First Sergeant so quickly?  It appears he only served four months.

2.) I am trying to assemble a replica of his uniform to display for family reunions and the like.  What would have been most reasonable for headgear and uniform wear for this time period.  (Kepi or forage, kind of coat, buttons, etc.)

3.) Are there any appropriate organizations related to this unit or related that might be good for me to become familiar with or involved in as his ancestor?

Any help appreciated, and my apologies if I haven't picked the correct forum.  I have attached a photo of old George that looks like was in his Army coat.  Maybe this helps.

PS-Just returned from the 150th Shiloh reenactment.  Very cool.

Attachment: GeorgeBaileyWeible.jpg (Downloaded 55 times)

Posted: Sun Apr 1st, 2012 09:03 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
tsmee

Mana: 

Oops already made a mistake. Pulled out the documentation, and he was mustered in as a First Sergeant also. So, my question would be: What would allow someone to be mustered in as a First Sergeant? Thanks all!

Posted: Sun Apr 1st, 2012 11:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Mark

Mana: 

1) That is a bit unusual, but promotion was a bit different back then. The only enlisted ranks were Private, Corporal, Sergeant. The position of First Sergeant was assigned by the Company commander from the other sergeants in the Company. Your grandfather may have had some prior militia service or he may have impressed the Captain with his paperwork ability.

2) In the picture he is wearing a Frock coat. That would have had the standard enlisted eagle buttons. Of course he would have had his 1SG stripes (light blue) on his jacket and his trousers may have had a dark blue stripe. Headgear is difficult to determine, but either a forage cap, or a privately bought slouch hat. Not a kepi.

3) Not sure about organizations, but here is a regimental history from the NPS Soldier and Sailor System:

154th Regiment, Illinois Infantry
Organized at Camp Butler and mustered in February 21, 1865. Moved to Louisville, Ky.; thence to Nashville and Murfreesboro, Tenn., February 24-March 3, 1865. Attached to 1st Brigade, Defences Nashville & Chattanooga R.R., Dept. of the Cumberland, to April, 1865. 1st Brigade, 1st Sub-District, District of Middle Tennessee, to September, 1865.

SERVICE.-Duty at Murfreesboro, Tenn., till May 13, 1865. Moved to Tullahoma, Tenn., May 13-15; thence to Nashville June 11 and Garrison duty there till September. Mustered out September 18, 1865.

Regiment lost during service by disease 76.

Hope that helps.

Mark

Posted: Mon Apr 2nd, 2012 03:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
tsmee

Mana: 

Thanks Mark!

Posted: Sat Jun 2nd, 2012 10:06 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

I would use the photo you have of him as a base. A Frock Coat w/ 1st Sgt insignia. Likely either a Forage Cap or Hardee Hat would be appropriate. Light blue trousers.

Jarnagin, Waumbaugh & White, Stony Brook all would likely be able to help you out w/ getting a uniform set up.

Posted: Mon Jun 4th, 2012 11:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Just a shot in the dark guess.....BUT, COULD he have served with a different unit and trasnferred in as Sgt??....If you have his war record, you may have specified his record for the 154th, and as a result, you were only sent info for his service in the 154th.....I had this happen when I sent for a Confederate War record for someone in an artillery unit, only to find out that the person I was looking for had prior service in an infantry unit, and all I got was the artillery record....I had to seperately send for the prior infantry service record...

As to your ancestor, see http://civilwar.ilgenweb.net/r155/154-c-in.html
where it says the following: WEIBLE, George

1st Serg.

Padua (Place of Residence)

Feb 17, 1865

Died at Millstadt, Ill, Jun 25, 1865

Since the Regiment was in Nashville at the time of his death, I'd say he was sent back to Illinois, where he died...

On Facebook, check out: https://www.facebook.com/pages/154th-Illinois-Volunteer-Infantry-Regiment/106010929429723
I bet you may get some questions answered there. If there are any photos of troops in uniform, that will also help you.

Good luck!!
Hope I've helped!!

Posted: Mon Jun 4th, 2012 11:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Tsmee, where ya from??.....Did ya reenact at the Shiloh 150th??.....I reenacted there as Conf. Artillery....My family originally came from Bethal Springs, TN, not far from Shiloh!!

Posted: Tue Jun 5th, 2012 01:56 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

Albert, you were at the BGA event? Heard good things about it. I could neither afford or get the time off so I was a no joy. From people I know in the "Minnesota" Company it was a good event.

Posted: Tue Jun 5th, 2012 02:04 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Yep!!....I was with BGA!!....GREAT time & we were treated VERY well!!

Posted: Tue Jun 5th, 2012 12:03 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

Of the two i was more impressed w/ the BGA offering, but the political back biting and just plain nastiness between the two groups soured the pot for a lot of people. I'm glad it went off well. I expect you had an experiance you aren't likely to forget.

Posted: Tue Jun 5th, 2012 01:10 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Yeah, I don't care for the political aspects of it.....Kind of petty, in my opinion, but, as I said, we were treated well and those running the event made sure that we had what we needed....I am happy with the whole event & we made some great memories!!.....We went passed my old house & town, so I got to show my 10 year old son where I used to live before he was born!!

Current time is 04:07 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3628 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 25 queries executed.