Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Cain at Gettysburg - Civil War Books - Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Apr 3rd, 2012 03:36 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Michael F. Blake

Mana: 

I am in the middle of Ralph Peters' CAIN AT GETTYSBURG novel.

I am finding this book to be a very enjoyable, insightful read. The authro incorporates real life people with fictional ones and creates a vivid picture of battle.

Personally, I enjoy a bit more than KILLER ANGELS. This is MY personal taste. I do enjoy Sharra's novel, but this one seems to grab me more.

Just my two cents, your mileage may vary.

Posted: Mon May 7th, 2012 06:51 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Michael F. Blake

Mana: 

Okay, I have finished CAIN AT GETTYSBURG and have to say i really enjoyed it.

The author has done his research and brings in a lot of real people and gives them life.

Overall, I highly recommend it.

Posted: Tue May 8th, 2012 12:52 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

In spite of the fact of not being a big fan of Civil War fiction, I am reading this very book right now. The writer is so gifted with his descriptive passages. You can just FEEL what is going on. You can feel the heat, smell the gun powder and sweat, feel the briars tearing your clothes and skin. The tension during battles and even just before battles is so palpable it is almost exhausting.

The writer has such a good grasp of character. He is especially skilled at making you feel as if you personally know the rank-and-file characters. You can almost see them. But he also handles the officers very well too bringing them to life.

For example, he absolutely humanizes Meade. No history book I have read does that very well. I feel close to Meade because he designed the picturesque Jupiter Light House just half an hour's drive from my home. His skill at designing lighthouses is sited several times in the book.

I know we say time and time again here that a certain book or another should be a movie. Also I know Gettysburg is a favorite subject of movies, but this time I am dead serious--this could be such an interesting movie because the characters stand out as much as the battle. Unfortunately, it may never happen because so many Gettysburg movies have already been filmed. The general public would say, "Ah, just another Gettysburg Battle movie."

It is really hard to put this book down and take care of the things that need to be done. This is one of those books I wish I could just stick myself in my Lazy-Boy chair and stay there until the book is finished.

The book could be read quite fast and the action keeps moving fast, but I want to savor every word and visualize every event Peters brings to the pages. I bet Peters could work his magic with the Battle of Franklin.

Last edited on Tue May 8th, 2012 12:54 am by CleburneFan

Posted: Tue May 8th, 2012 03:27 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Michael F. Blake

Mana: 

Exactly! What you said hits the nail on the head.

I throughly enjoyed reading it and did not want it to end. I also agree he does a GREAT job making Meade into a fully realized human being, not just a name in the history book.

Just a well-done book!

Posted: Tue May 8th, 2012 11:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Peters makes battle scenes so real, you feel as if you are slogging right along beside the flag carrier while the minie balls and shell fragments are zooming right by you...way too close.

I've never read more realistic battle scenes. One can't help but be stirred by such vivid writing.

Last edited on Wed May 9th, 2012 12:00 am by CleburneFan

Current time is 01:46 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3362 seconds (8% database + 92% PHP). 26 queries executed.