Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

General Jubal Early. - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Jul 1st, 2012 09:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
41st Post
Old Blu

Mana: 

Johan Steele wrote: Old Blu wrote: Johan Steele wrote: Old Blu wrote: Pure revisionism!!:X

Like Davis post war, Rhett, Yancey, Rutherford... or Early.

Well, good to see you show up once in a while.  Without throwing out a bunch of your pet books, I still ask this question of YOU trying to get a specific answer to a specific question.

"What did General Early say in his book that was wrong?"

Some have already stated somethings.  How about you?

I don't spoon feed.  I also don't have "pet" books.  If you don't like actual history books that's your problem, not mine.  I read, a lot.  Such reading apparently gives me a different outlook.  If you think a reading list is inferior to yours why don't you offer titles that differ?  Nothing from Rutherford or DiLorenzo though, I have standards.

As you clearly believe the man never told a falsehood in his life, you've already made up your mind.  I provided a list of books, his track record is evident in what is written by and of him.  I gave you the works of legitimate historians; I'll take their word over yours thank you very much.

All  I am asking you is 1 simple question.  What did Early say in his book that was wrong?

You don't have to give me a whole list of 'who shot john'.

Answer please!!

Posted: Sun Jul 1st, 2012 09:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
42nd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Just keep up the surly attitude - I'll tolerate it for about 5 more minutes. There's been 4 threads ruined by this poisonous animosity. There won't be any more.

Posted: Mon Jul 2nd, 2012 12:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
43rd Post
Old Blu

Mana: 

javal1 wrote: Just keep up the surly attitude - I'll tolerate it for about 5 more minutes. There's been 4 threads ruined by this poisonous animosity. There won't be any more.
javal1, I am sorry that it got to be upsetting for anyone by my question.  There is so much negative about General Early and my only intention was to have a decent discussion with an answered question.

I apologize to you and the board for my insensitivity about what was going on and to those lurking around the board.

Blu

Posted: Tue Jul 3rd, 2012 11:09 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
44th Post
Old Blu

Mana: 

Mark wrote: Well, if you want a provably false direct quote, try this one. Among other statements that 150 years have shown to be false, this one sticks out. "the condition of domestic slavery...furnished a class of laborers as happy and contented as any in the world." Early was an excellent division commander, but he was also a man of his time. I have no doubt he believed this statement, but it is clearly not true. Quote is from Early's "Memoir of the Last Year of the War for Independence" pp. VIII. You can find the full text on Googlebooks if desired.

Mark

PS. Also see his Appendix B for the standard Lost Cause discussion of how the Federal armies were full of immigrants and Southern blacks "forced" into service.

I too, believe that statement is false based on what I know today.  The feeling about this was not only General Early, but the United States as a whole as history shows.

Posted: Tue Jul 3rd, 2012 11:17 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
45th Post
Old Blu

Mana: 

The Union Army recruited and forced nearly 2,000 Blacks (free and slave) into Fort Negley's labor battalions. "Known men of treason," including Belle Meade plantation's William G. Harding, were arrested and lost money, slaves, and supplies to support the project.

http://www.aaregistry.org/historic_events/view/fort-negley-tn-has-unique-black-history

Free black families faced mistreatment and struggled to secure livelihoods.  Black men were sometimes forced into labor by the Union Army, for example, in the building of Fort Negley in Nashville.  The Union army sometimes used the wives and children of black soldiers as laborers.  Although employed in a variety of tasks around camp, these families were seen as burdensome to the army.

http://www.tn4me.org/article.cfm/a_id/9/minor_id/2/major_id/5/era_id/5

Forced labor by Union Army is also in the OR's but this will show what happened as well.
This was one of the points against Early I wanted to respond to.

I'm done.  Thanks to all of you for your responses.

Blu

Posted: Wed Jul 4th, 2012 06:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
46th Post
JG6789

Mana: 

What did Early say in his book that was wrong?

I you can’t see that Early’s book is filled with errors, omissions, and distortions, I have to conclude you haven’t read it…why not read it and see how many errors you can identify for yourself?  Here’s one to get you started from the very first page of his 1867 book.  Referencing the respective strengths of the Federal and Rebel forces at the outset of the spring 1864 campaign Early writes:

“I am satisfied that General Lee’s army did not exceed 50,000 effective men of all arms…[Grant’s army] must have numbered very nearly, if not quite, 200,000 men.”

Posted: Wed Jul 4th, 2012 09:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
47th Post
Old Blu

Mana: 

JG6789 wrote: What did Early say in his book that was wrong?

I you can’t see that Early’s book is filled with errors, omissions, and distortions, I have to conclude you haven’t read it…why not read it and see how many errors you can identify for yourself?  Here’s one to get you started from the very first page of his 1867 book.  Referencing the respective strengths of the Federal and Rebel forces at the outset of the spring 1864 campaign Early writes:

“I am satisfied that General Lee’s army did not exceed 50,000 effective men of all arms…[Grant’s army] must have numbered very nearly, if not quite, 200,000 men.”

It kind of reminds one of McCellan.:D

Posted: Wed Jan 30th, 2013 04:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
48th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Since Jubal Early and: "Lost Cause" philosophy have once again been mentioned on this board, we might as well bring this Jubal Early thread back for another round.

I'm not sure that those considered to be: "Pro-south" on this forum would be happy with the implication that they were admirers of General Early or advocates of: "Lost Cause Mythology."

I do believe that military defeat was inevitable for the CSA if the northern people were willing to fight long enough to exhaust southern resources. I do believe that secession was a Constitutional right that was an option available to the southerners in 1860 and 1861.

On the other hand, I do not believe that CSA officers and soldiers were more: "Noble" than their northern counterparts. I do not believe that the southerners lost due to a : "Betrayal" of the cause by certain CSA officers. And I certainly do NOT believe that slavery was a benign institution.

I am certain that personally I would not have liked General Early. I have no doubt that at West Point he gave Lewis Armistead great provocation, which led to Armistead breaking a dinner plate over Early's head.

Lewis Armistead

Last edited on Wed Jan 30th, 2013 04:36 pm by Texas Defender

Current time is 09:12 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3463 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 33 queries executed.