Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Interesting thing at Battle of Ceder Mountain. - Other People of the Civil War - The Participants of the War - Mikitary & Civilian - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Jun 12th, 2012 03:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Old Blu

Mana: 

General Early talking-

"I went on the field under General Ewell's orders, to superintend the burial of a portion of our dead, who had not been buried by their proper commanders. I found on the field, stacked up, a very large quantity of excellent rifles, which the division, detailed to gather them up, omitted to carry off. Some of the enemy's men were taking these rifles, but I made them desist, and demanded that a part already carried off, under direction of a staff officer of General Sigel, should be brought back, which was complied with. I then sent for a detail from my brigade and had these arms carried off in wagons sent to me from the rear, there being six full wagon loads. While this work was going on, I heard a Federal soldier say: "It is hard to see our nice rifles going that way," to which another replied: "Yes, but they are theirs, they won them fairly." "

http://docsouth.unc.edu/fpn/early/early.html#early1  page 102

Last edited on Tue Jun 12th, 2012 03:44 pm by Old Blu

Posted: Fri Feb 14th, 2014 01:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
wondering

Mana: 

Old Blu wrote:
"Yes, but they are theirs, they won them fairly."

Men of that era understood honorable conduct: death before dishonor. Interesting anecdote that illustrates the inherent respect between adversaries.

Current time is 06:08 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2854 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 26 queries executed.