Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

gettysburg day 2 - Battle of Gettysburg - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Jun 21st, 2012 02:41 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
csamillerp

Mana: 

i've been trying to find out the approximate casualties of july 2nd at gettysburg. i cant find the information in any books or websites so i'm hoping one of ya'll can tell me.

Posted: Thu Jun 21st, 2012 03:32 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Yhis may be the best I can do for now. http://www.civilwarhome.com/gettyscampaign.htm

Actually lost one of my favorite websites, but that wouldn't be any help anyway. It only listed for the whole battle.

Last edited on Thu Jun 21st, 2012 03:32 am by Hellcat

Posted: Thu Jun 21st, 2012 05:40 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
csamillerp

Mana: 

thanks hellcat i've been looking for that info for a while now. its terrible how on both the 1st and 2nd day the casualties were near antietams losses. just looking at those numbers you know Lee knew it was an all or nothing fight. i think somehow he knew it was his last chance to end the war. And you have to give it to the yankees too. taking the punishment they took and holding on... i think they knew it also.

Posted: Fri Jun 22nd, 2012 09:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Old Blu

Mana: 

Maybe.

http://gburginfo.brinkster.net/Casualties.htm

Posted: Mon Jun 25th, 2012 03:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
HankC

Mana: 

very few brigades fought on more than one day.

of those that did, most of their casualties occurred on one day or the other - not many units were heavlily engaged on multiple days. The Iron brigade is an example - they also fought on culps hill, but most of their casualties were on July 1 west of town.

some units, such as the Union 12th corps fought over 2 days but in pretty much the same spot (culps hill).

Confederate units, especially those of Pender and Heth who fought on both July 1 and 3rd in Longstreets assault, are trickier but many have pretty fair accounting between the 2 days.

this type of question reveals an interesting tidbit. Think of a unit in, say, Hood's or Pickett's division: they march to the battlefield, march into position, attack for 90 minutes, lose 1/3 to 1/2 of their number and then return to Virginia.

brings to mind the saying of war being months of tedious boredom followed by an hour of total terror...

Current time is 06:23 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1526 seconds (14% database + 86% PHP). 25 queries executed.