Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Gen. A. P. Hill, Division or Corps? - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Sep 5th, 2012 05:12 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
sgtredleg
Life NRA, CW Trust, VFW member

Mana: 

I was wondering of the opinion of other board members.
Gen. A. P. Hill seemed to be so aggressive and performed well during the first half of the war. Suddenly, it seemed that his performance dropped dramatically.
Personally I think he should have remained a Division commander. He knew how to inspire troops at that level. However, if that had happened who would have have been best qualified to lead the Third Corps.
I believe Gen. Gordon was brought in as a Corps Commander way too late. It would have bucked protocol but I think he should have been a Corps commander before either Gen. Ewell or Gen. A. P. Hill.
Of course all of this is based on hind sight and Gen. Lee did not have that luxury.

Your thoughts?

Posted: Wed Sep 5th, 2012 11:17 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
BHR62

Mana: 

Some on here know the Confederate high command personalities better than I do....when they got their rank etc. But what I've read is that A.P. Hill had a health issue due to his fondness for the females. This accounts for his performance issues at times. But you're right he does seem to have been a very capable and aggresive general. He is a guy I plan on reading up on after I finish Bill O'Reilly's book...Killing Lincoln.

I had an ancestor in Lane's Brigade of the Army of Northern Virginia. He served in the 33rd North Carolina. Does anyone have a book to recommend in reading up on this brigade or regiment?

Posted: Wed Sep 5th, 2012 12:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Mark

Mana: 

Hill was certainly a better division commander than a corps commander. He didn't react to extreme stress well. Of course, by 1864 the Confederacy was running out of exceptional officers so they had to take what they could get. The problem in American armies of the 19th century (heck, it even persists through today) is seniority. Gordon was way down on the list. No matter what anyone tells you, promotion is never based purely on ability. With all that said, there is a huge difference between brigade command and corps command. Gordon benefited immensely from his time as a division commander. If he had somehow went right from brigade to corps command, he probably would have been overwhelmed by the difference.

Mark

Last edited on Wed Sep 5th, 2012 12:40 pm by Mark

You have chosen to ignore Savez. click Here to view this post

Posted: Thu Sep 6th, 2012 10:44 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
BHR62

Mana: 

Savez wrote: BHR62 wrote: Some on here know the Confederate high command personalities better than I do....when they got their rank etc. But what I've read is that A.P. Hill had a health issue due to his fondness for the females. This accounts for his performance issues at times. But you're right he does seem to have been a very capable and aggresive general. He is a guy I plan on reading up on after I finish Bill O'Reilly's book...Killing Lincoln.

I had an ancestor in Lane's Brigade of the Army of Northern Virginia. He served in the 33rd North Carolina. Does anyone have a book to recommend in reading up on this brigade or regiment?

Thought this was pretty cool...

http://www.petersburgbreakthrough.org/33rdNC.html

Thanks Savez!  

Posted: Tue Oct 30th, 2012 08:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Darryl

Mana: 

I think that A P Hill, was an oustanding division commander. But I also believe he was brought up to Corps command too fast. The man who should have gotten the corps was derided unjustly by the friends of a General who should have been court martialed for direlection of duty. That being Beverly Robertson. His failure to hold the flank at Brandy Station was unforgiveable and Lee tried to get rid of him. Stuart was up for that corps command and would have done a much better job. But thanks to Robertson's friends in the CSA Congress that selection was turned down. Lee had wanted Stuart for that job, but instead had to appoint AP Hill. The same can be said of Richard Ewell, better at divisional command.
But there was not alot to choose from and circumstances for promotion were very different back then.

Current time is 12:03 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3336 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 31 queries executed.