Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Sherman to Lincoln - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Sep 28th, 2012 01:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
HankC

Mana: 

I've wondered:

how was Sherman's 'Christmas' message to Lincoln transmitted from Savannah?

was there undersea telegraph? fast packet boats from station to station? wig-wag? something else?

sometimes the logistics are amazingly complex and advanced, other times plodding and ancient...

Posted: Fri Sep 28th, 2012 02:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Mark

Mana: 

The dispatch is dated as follows:

Savannah, Ga. Dec 22, 1864
Via Ft. Monroe Va. Dec 22

I strongly suspect it was packet boat to Ft. Monroe and then another boat from there to Washington. There was no other way to do it.

Posted: Mon Oct 1st, 2012 12:42 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Joramy3

Mana: 

I have a web site on that subject, at
http://www.lakesidepress.com/Savannah-CivilWar/sherman-telegram.html

The telegram went by steamer Golden Gate to Fortress Monroe, VA. From there, it went by telegraph to the war office next to the white house, from where it was re-transcribed in handwriting, and delivered to Lincoln. Original documents are on the web site.

If you have any further questions after perusing the web site, please let me know.

Larry Martin

Posted: Mon Oct 1st, 2012 05:22 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Um, I don't get something on that link. On the section of when the telegraph reached Lincoln it says

Sherman wrote in his memoirs that: "This message actually reached him on Christmas-eve..." However, in his Civil War News review of Stanley Weintraub’s book General Sherman's Christmas, Carl Schenker Jr. writes: "[Weintraub] puts Sherman’s Christmas gift message into Lincoln’s hands on Christmas Eve, one day early according to the extant military telegram."

Now to me Christmas-eve and Christmas Eve are the same thing, December 24th. Looking over it seems to be suggesting Sherman was saying the night of Christmas, which I'd call Christmas Day eve or Christmas Day night. Is that what Sherman was actually saying or was Christmas Eve also spelled Christmas-eve back in the 1860s?

Posted: Tue Oct 2nd, 2012 10:09 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Joramy3

Mana: 

Thanks for pointing out the inconsistency. I should have quoted the entire comment by Schenker, to show that "Christmas Eve" statement in the book was an error, and that the telegram actually got to Lincoln on Christmas Day. I have revised the Sherman-to-Lincoln Telegram web site and it should be clear now.
Larry

Current time is 12:18 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.5323 seconds (46% database + 54% PHP). 26 queries executed.