Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Speilberg at Gettysburg - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Oct 6th, 2012 10:12 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Michael F. Blake

Mana: 

Director Steven Speilberg will be the guest speaker at the 149th anniversary of the Gettysburg address.

Posted: Sun Oct 7th, 2012 05:47 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Not a big surprise, given what's coming out around then (ten days before the 149th anniversary in fact).

Posted: Thu Oct 11th, 2012 07:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
philly rabbit

Mana: 

I wonder how much of a fair shake the south will get in this new film?

I'm not too optimistic.

Posted: Fri Oct 12th, 2012 01:35 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Mark

Mana: 

I wouldn't worry too much rabbit. My understanding is that the movie is primarily about the initial push to adopt the 13th Amendment. The Confederacy had little to say about the matter until the war was over... and even then they really didn't have much of a choice! The movie will almost certainly focus on war opposition in the North.

Mark

Posted: Fri Oct 12th, 2012 06:29 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

I haven't seen a Spielberg movie set in the era, but then that's me (you watch me be wrong and I have seen one). I don't know if he directed Gangs of New York or if that was someone else. Probably check out IMDb and find out. But to my knowledge Spielberg hasn't directed movies set earlier than the 20th century. So I have no clue how he'll approach the South concerning the war.

Edit: Well, I was wrong about movies set earlier than the 20th century. Amistad was the 1830s, though I've never seen it.

Last edited on Fri Oct 12th, 2012 06:33 am by Hellcat

Posted: Fri Oct 12th, 2012 12:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Mark

Mana: 

Hellcat wrote:
I haven't seen a Spielberg movie set in the era, but then that's me (you watch me be wrong and I have seen one). I don't know if he directed Gangs of New York or if that was someone else. Probably check out IMDb and find out. But to my knowledge Spielberg hasn't directed movies set earlier than the 20th century. So I have no clue how he'll approach the South concerning the war.

Edit: Well, I was wrong about movies set earlier than the 20th century. Amistad was the 1830s, though I've never seen it.

Amistad was brilliant! You really should go see it!

Mark

Posted: Sat Oct 13th, 2012 05:21 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

But my point is still there, Mark. I haven't seen Amistad so I don't know how Spielberg may have portrayed the South in that movie. And how much more had things chanced between the Amistad case and the start of the war? I mean this isn't like Raiders of the Lost Ark to The Last Crusade where the time difference is two years. Looking it up the Amistad case was 1841, twenty years before the start of the war. And the decision in the case is just five days shy of twenty years before when Lincoln was sworn in (the decision was handed down March 9, 1841). How differently might Spielberg portray the South in Lincoln from how he might have portrayed it in Amistad if he portrayed it at all in Amistad?

Posted: Sat Oct 13th, 2012 08:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Mark

Mana: 

I understand your concern. I'm just saying that if I understand the premise of the Lincoln movie correctly based on everything I have seen, it will be focusing on the fight to ratify the 13th Amendment in the North (though I hate wikipedia with a passion, their plot summary of the film is where I got most of my information http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_(2012_film) ). I think the Hampton Roads Peace Conference will be about the only place where you'll even see a Southerner... Anyway, I could be completely off my rocker. I guess we will have to wait another month or so.

But seriously, do go see Amistad. You won't regret it (unless you are a Martin Van Buren fan--he comes off as weak and vacillating).

Mark

Posted: Wed Nov 14th, 2012 08:03 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
elrichbach

Mana: 

Spielberg is good and I can't make some negative comments since the movie is good and really make sense.

Current time is 06:40 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1703 seconds (15% database + 85% PHP). 27 queries executed.