Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Read a Good History Book Lately? - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Oct 16th, 2012 11:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Maindron1

Mana: 

I can’t help but wonder why many people will not get a history book and read instead of a thriller, romance, horror and such. I was one of those people too but one afternoon, I was having my “me” time when this whole human division kept turning around my head. So I decided to start reading about the American civil war which from what I know was about the south wanting to keep slavery alive but the opposite side was trying to defend freedom for all.

I am not from the US, I am rather from Haiti which was the first black republic in the world, the only country – as small and so very poor as it may be – who actually fought their way from slavery to freedom with nothing but the strong will to be free or die and they’ve done it with machetes.

So, to go back to my story, I was browsing through and I came up to this book “Civil War Battles in Winchester and Frederick County, Virginia, 1861-1865” and this book was put together by the County Civil War Commission. As I was reading it, It has come to my attention that this was one of the fiercest battle in history and one of the most selfless battle as well, people risking their lives for something they believe in, whether it was that you believe that all man should be free, or black should stay slaves and have no right to freedom. I am not judging here, but It is so interesting to see that back in the 1860s, even though the world was so divided and cruel, some harts could not help but to wonder about life, to see the cruelty at home and abroad and some take a stand and do something about it and doing so, put their lives at risk and eventually die for their beliefs.

It tells me that we have had good people from the beginning of times but what I can’t help but wonder is whether our harts are improving toward love or are we stuck there and here, I know that we are not getting worse but are we getting better at helping other people?

I think that we are, but some people will say that we are not and that we will only help if in the process we do not inconvenience ourselves, or we get something back in return, and that is not really helping; I say it is, and there is nothing wrong with it and if more people were doing it, the world will be better off.

To go back to the book, it has a very detailed information about the importance of a strategic location to a war like the civil war, and how Winchester was the route to Washington and that they have to protect it at all cost, both Army were fighting to get control, but at the end, the Union army prevail. You can read the entire book at http://www.historybookcorner.com

The point that I am trying to make is that history help us remember, we’ve been through a lot, and we are where we are because of the sacrifices strangers make because that they believe in something, and we too should make sacrifices for what we believe in, and that is the way the world will see a better tomorrow.

Our actions as big or small, good or bad can have a worldwide effect.
Rodriguez Maindron.

Posted: Wed Oct 17th, 2012 01:10 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
sgtredleg
Life NRA, CW Trust, VFW member

Mana: 

Well said Rodriguez.
I agree that more History should be read. It is through History that we can understand the great sacrifice that was made by our ancestors. It gives us a tool to use in considering the direction we should take by reviewing past success' and failures.
With this comprehension we, as a people, should know when to stand for the values that have made us who we are.
As noted, we should read more History!)(_

Posted: Thu Oct 18th, 2012 10:34 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Personally what's to wonder. The sad fact is that most folks really aren't interested in history so they are less likely to pick up a history book and read it. Look at what History Channel has become. I agree with the slogan of history made everyday. Heck, history is made every second, some of it insignificant in the grand scheme of things some of it with potential to change the world and affect billions of people. But the important daily history is what you watch the news for, not History Channel. The channel was supposed to be about the past, not shows like Life after People, Ice Road Trukers, Pawn Stars, and American Pickers. I like watching Top Shots and personally I've seen more history on it than I have on American Pickers. But what the network execs want is pure entertainment value over shows that pander to historical interest, even if that pandering is more WWII focused (as in the nickname the Hitler Channel). Some of the shows you could take and use them to entertain and to educate.

And it's just not watching that channel that leads me to say that. I look at folks who ask what folks can tell them about the lives Jack and Rose from Titanic. Or why don't we hear about the true history of Hitler's death in the history books like we see in In Glorious Bastards. Or why haven' we been taught about Lincoln's hunting vampires as we see in Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. Rather than actually look into the real history depicted in movies and learn more about real history people would rather believe the Hollywood history depicted in movies and want to learn about that history or learn why that history, which they think is real, is not being taught in school.

Then there's re-enacting, absolutely nothing wrong with it. Heck good reenactors actually study the period their re-enacting so dress properly and can answer questions anyone visiting their re-enactment might have. But then there are folks who are just out to play dress up and complain about folks who take it seriously. One of my sisters is, or was, in the SCA and she and a bunch of her friends went to an event a few years back. She came back complaining about folks ruining all the fun by wanting to be authetic to the period. That the only purpose for Medival and Renissance re-enacting was to have fun and nobody actually cares about authenticity just as long as you look like you're from that era. The point here is that there are going to be those in the re-enacting community who are interested in the history and experincing what it might have been like to live in that time period and those in the community who want to play dress up and have fun. Both have their places, certainly. But don't expect those looking to play dress up to be interested in history, maybe they are and maybe their not.

Folks who visit this forum are largely folks interested in at least one era of history and so most of us have at least one book in that specific era. A great many of us have a library we've amassed that we do turn to when we make posts. I've got dozens of books on the Civil War in my personal library and I'm constantly adding to it. I also have books on WWII, space history, weaponry, naval history, lighthouses, and military aircraft history in the non-fiction part of my library. Heck, I still make a gift wish list for Christmas and my birthday and one section of it is listed as BOOKS - history and military. It sounds childish, a Santa gift list, for someone in their late thirties but at five pages in length it gives folks ideas of things I'm interested in so even if I get something not on the list the chances are pretty good the list may have helped them figure that the item would be something I might like.

Current time is 04:47 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2951 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 26 queries executed.