Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

The Last Confederate Reunion - 1951 - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Mar 26th, 2013 01:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Rockie9

Mana: 

I will like to know who were the names of the three attendees at the last Confederates Reunion in 1951 at Norfolk, Virginia.

I have looked almost everywhere on the web and most of them just advertised things from that reunion but no history nor names.

Thank you,

Rockie9 (new guy):)

Posted: Tue Mar 26th, 2013 02:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Rockie9-

I'm afraid that I can only give you a partial answer to your question about who the three attendees were at the last reunion of the UCV in Norfolk, VA from 30 May 1951 to 01 June 1951.

I have seen evidence that one attendee was William J. Bush (1845-1952) of Georgia.

William Joshua Bush (1845 - 1952) - Find A Grave Memorial

I have seen evidence that another attendee was John B. Salling (1846 ?-1958) of Virginia. His claim to have been a CSA soldier is now highly doubtful, and it is thought that he was actually born in 1856.

John Salling (1846 - 1958) - Find A Grave Memorial

The third man's identity I haven't yet been able to determine.  (NOTE: See EDITING at the bottom of the page). There are a few candidates that could possibly have been the one. Some are listed below.

There is Thomas Riddle (1846 ?- 1954) of Tennessee and then Texas.

Thomas Evans Riddle (1846 - 1954) - Find A Grave Memorial

There is Willam Lundy (1848 ?- 1957) of Alabama and then Florida.

William Lundy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is Pleasant R. Crump (1847-1951) of Alabama.

Pleasant Riggs Crump (1847 - 1951) - Find A Grave Memorial

Pleasant Crump - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mr. Crump is the last CSA veteran whose veracity is universally accepted. He was present at the surrender of General Lee's army at Appomattox Courthouse in April of 1865. Interestingly, he died on the last day of 1951 in Lincoln, Alabama.

Last surviving Confederate veterans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The third attendee might even have been Walter Washington Williams (1842? -1959) of Mississippi and later Texas. For a time, he was accepted as being the last surviving Civil War soldier. But nowadays he is considered to have definately been debunked, and it is believed that he was born more than a decade later than the 1842 date that he claimed.

Walter Washington Williams ( - 1959) - Find A Grave Memorial

EDITING: The source below indicates that the SCV identifies the third attendee as none other than Walter Washington Williams.

Last U.S. war veterans: Ordinary men in extraordinary times - Pittsburgh Post-

So, the three attendees were Bush, Salling, and Williams. I'll leave the info on Riddle, Lundy, and Crump on this posting rather than editing it out, since they were also interesting characters.

Last edited on Tue Mar 26th, 2013 03:32 pm by Texas Defender

You have chosen to ignore Jadelise. click Here to view this post

Posted: Wed Mar 19th, 2014 08:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
RebelRouser

Mana: 

Its pretty clear now that Walter Williams was a fake. People who lie about their military service are despicable.

Current time is 07:14 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1472 seconds (14% database + 86% PHP). 27 queries executed.