Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

John Fulton Reynolds - Other People of the Civil War - The Participants of the War - Mikitary & Civilian - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed May 22nd, 2013 11:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
LoyaltyOfDogs

Mana: 

Was General John Fulton Reynolds of Lancaster, PA, related to Robert Fulton, who built the steamboat the Clermont? I don't believe General Reynolds was a direct descendant, but I have heard, over the years, that the Fultons for whom he was named were relatives of Robert Fulton. Thank you for any information you can provide!

Posted: Thu May 23rd, 2013 01:14 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

LoyaltyOfDogs-

I don't have a definitive answer for you, but I have a couple of possible theories.

The inventor, Robert Fulton, Jr. (1765-1815) was the son of Robert Fulton, Sr. (Died in 1768 or 1774) and Mary Smith (Died in 1799).

Robert Fulton Inventor

Robert Fulton (1765 - 1815) - Find A Grave Memorial

General John Fulton Reynolds (1820-1863) was the son of John Reynolds (1787-1853) and Lydia Moore (1794-1843). Lydia Moore was the daughter of Captain Samuel Moore (1749-1795) and Jane Fulton (1768-1847).

http://library.fandm.edu/archives/Reynolds/genealogy.pdf

So, it seems that General Reynolds' mother was related to the inventor Robert Fulton, Jr. Her mother was the right age to be a sister of the inventor. His bio says that there were: "At least" three sisters of the inventor, but the name Jane wasn't given. So, possibly, Jane Fulton was a first cousin of the inventor. His father, Robert Fulton, Sr. apparently had two brothers.

If Jane Fulton was a sister of the inventor, then General Reynolds was the grand nephew of the inventor. If she was a first cousin of the inventor, then General Reynolds was his first cousin twice removed. (Other possible cousin relationships are possible). I am more likely to believe the cousin theory.

In either case, you are correct that General Reynolds was not on a direct line to the inventor.

Last edited on Thu May 23rd, 2013 01:41 am by Texas Defender

Posted: Thu May 23rd, 2013 03:37 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
LoyaltyOfDogs

Mana: 

Thank you for this information! That gives me a new avenue to pursue.

Posted: Fri May 24th, 2013 02:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

LoyaltyOfDogs-

While General John Fulton Reynolds is a well known figure to students of the Civil War, his older brother, William Reynolds (1815-1879) is not.

William Reynolds became an admiral in the U.S. Navy years after the end of the Civil War. He had been retired for health reasons several years before the war, but returned to the Navy when the war began.

Ferree Reunion Website

While the 13 children of John Reynolds, Sr. (1787-1853)  and Lydia Moore (1794-1843) were related to the Fulton family through their maternal grandmother, Jane Fulton (1768-1847), they were related to the Ferree family through their paternal grandmother, Catharine Ferree Lefevre (1753-1822).

Last edited on Fri May 24th, 2013 02:40 pm by Texas Defender

Posted: Sat Aug 17th, 2013 10:52 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

On this date in 1807, a relative of General John Fulton Reynolds brought about a significant event in U.S. History. At that time, General Reynolds was not yet born and would not be for many years, but by the time that he was, his middle name was a well known one.

Fulton's First Steamboat Voyage, 1807  The voyage was not problem free.

Current time is 04:07 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1560 seconds (15% database + 85% PHP). 25 queries executed.