Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Corporal Duties at Corps HQ - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Jun 5th, 2013 11:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
BHR62

Mana: 

I've been trying to figure out something with my gg uncle's service records. During Sherman's March he was assigned duty to the XIV Corps HQ. As a Corporal what would he have done there and would he have reported for duty there the entire time or split duty there with his normal regimental duty?

Posted: Tue Jun 11th, 2013 02:12 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

More than likely he was part of a guard detail. They would have had other duties such as setting tents, running messages etc as well.

Posted: Fri Jun 14th, 2013 11:54 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
BHR62

Mana: 

Johan...you seem very knowledgeable in many areas of the Civil War. So I will see if you can help me understand this better. His service record states he was captured near Columbia, SC on February 14. It then says that he was exchanged on March 9 at Camp Chase, OH. Promoted to Sergeant on April 10. He was then discharged on June 18, 1865 at Camp Chase.

I don't understand the prisoner exchange system very well. Would the Confederates have paroled him and sent him to Camp Chase upon capture? Or lock him up in a POW Camp until they got official paperwork of the exchange, then send him there. They don't list any Confederate POW Camps on his record though.

Current time is 02:10 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2993 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 25 queries executed.