Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Hooded Cowards Strike Again - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Jul 3rd, 2006 06:10 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

July 3, 2006--An organization known as the World Knights of the Ku Klux Klan (KKK) has applied for and received a special use permit to conduct a protest and demonstration at Gettysburg National Military Park on September 2, 2006 between 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. Activities will take place on the east lawn area of the Cyclorama Center.

The KKK requested the permit under the first amendment of the United States Constitution which grants all citizens the rights to freedom of speech. The group’s activities are inflammatory, controversial, and will undoubtedly create an emotional response in many of the park visitors and our community.

However, it is important to note that the National Park Service mission in preserving and protecting the historic resources at Gettysburg includes making them available to all Americans, even those whose views are contrary to the majority of the American public. The United States Constitution guarantees everyone the right to speak freely and to assemble peaceably, regardless of the content of their message. As custodians of land owned by the American people, the National Park Service has a responsibility to make that land available for exercising those rights.

National parks host hundreds of first amendment activities each year, the majority of which take place in our nation’s capital. Some, like Martin Luther King’s “I Have a Dream” speech at the Lincoln Memorial, reflected the prevailing mood of the American people, while others deliver a more controversial message whose validity is ultimately judged by the American people. The one constant of all of these assemblies is the professionalism of National Park Service and its staff in administering these activities.

The Code of Federal Regulations (36 CFR 2.51), the Director’s Orders on Special Park Use, and the Management Policies of the National Park Service all provide clear guidance on First Amendment activities in the parks. Gettysburg NMP staff will be working to ensure that park resources and visitors will not be adversely affected by this event or by activities that may be conducted by counter-demonstrations under additional permits. Additional law enforcement agencies will assist the park to make certain that demonstrators, visitors, and staff experience a safe atmosphere on the day of the event.

For more information contact the park’s Public Affairs Office at 717/ 334-1124 x452, or by email at Katie_Lawhon@nps.gov

Posted: Mon Jul 3rd, 2006 08:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
MAubrecht

Mana: 

That Antietam event opened up a HUGE can of worms... I see these guys everywhere now... the Vietnam Memorial, Monticello, Yankee Stadium... etc. etc. etc. I even stuck up for their 1st Amendment rights in our last discussion here - but I am rethinking my position... damn can... damn worms... damn free speech.

Posted: Mon Jul 3rd, 2006 08:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

LOL - understand the feeling Michael. You were right about their right to do it, and I don't blame the parks at all. They're stuck between a rock and a hard place. At Antietam, I was worried about a large counter-demonstration due to the burden on the rangers. And even so the KKK still looked like fools, outnumbered 200 to 30.

Here's what I'd like to see happen at G-burg: I'd like to see thousands of counter-protesters (after all, if the klan looks silly at 200-30, imagine 3,000 - 30). However I would add this caveat - every counter-protester should do two things:

1) Bring an extra bottle or two of nice cold water to hand out to the rangers and law enforcement folks who are forced to be there to keep order. Give them a smile, some water, and a thank you.

2) All counter-demonstrators should commit to staying an hour longer after the klan leaves to serve as volunteers to help park staff clean up any mess that may be made by the event. Why not turn a negative into a positive?

They have a right to march - I have a right to call them ignorant, gutless cowards (and our address is on every page of our website! :shock: ).

Posted: Tue Jul 4th, 2006 03:35 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
William Posey

Mana: 

As a law-enforcement officer, I've been present at several KKK rallies. None has been well-attended and the best way to deal with them is to ignore them. Counter-demonstrators only provoke these goons into more of their silly ranting, but unopposed, especially on a hot day, they seem to tire quickly and move on to another place. ;)

I have never seen a spectator at one of these events who seemed to be supportive of the KKKers there. Some have even laughed out loud at the shenanigans. No one takes them seriously.

Leave them alone and they'll fade away.

Posted: Tue Jul 4th, 2006 02:12 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
James2044

Mana: 

I am not a member of or in favor of the KKK.  However, truth is needed here and the "hooded" part of this message is incorrect.  The KKK has not been able to were hoods in years as we should know on a history board.

Posted: Tue Jul 4th, 2006 03:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

James -

Please see here .

Posted: Tue Jul 4th, 2006 03:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
William Posey

Mana: 

James2044, I must have a blind spot. I've read and reread the messages and I see nothing about "hoods" or "hooded".  Could you help me?

Posted: Wed Jul 5th, 2006 12:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
susansweet2

Mana: 

Yep , Joe, that sure looks like a hood to me in the picture on the page you had a link to.   I like your suggestions of bringing water and stay to clean up.   Michael I agree with with you on the damn can of worms but know can't just limit free speech to those that agree with me.  Sometimes its just hard!!!!

Posted: Thu Jul 6th, 2006 01:12 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Shadowrebel

Mana: 

William,

Look at the top of the page for the title of thread "Hooded Cowards Strike Again".

I agree they have a right to free speech and to use the national parks. I disagree with giving them any form of publicity or acknowledgment such as going to the protest. If you want to go after the event and help cleanup that is fine, just wait until they leave.

Regards

Shadowrebel (John)

Posted: Thu Jul 6th, 2006 01:22 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
rrhrjs

Mana: 

John, amen regarding publicity.  A prominently displayed news story or lead on the 6 o'clock news feeds this beast. I hope that the area media keep this event as low-key as possible ... as William said, "Leave them alone and they'll fade away."  

Warm regards, Rhonda

Last edited on Thu Jul 6th, 2006 01:53 am by rrhrjs

Current time is 08:05 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3631 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 26 queries executed.