Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Lincoln Mythology.... - Abraham Lincoln - The Participants of the War - Mikitary & Civilian - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Nov 3rd, 2013 01:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

A body of mythology has continued to exist about the life and character of Abraham Lincoln that is unsurpassed by any other figure in U.S. History. Some of its elements are examined briefly here in an article titled: "The Americam Myth," which is part of a larger study on the life of Mr. Lincoln.

http://xroads.virginia.edu/~cap/lincoln/mythtxt.htm

Those with a completely positive view of Mr. Lincoln might prefer to read LINCOLN IN AMERICAN MEMORY by Merrill D. Peterson, published by Oxford Press in 1995. It is Peterson who came up with the five elements of Lincoln mythology, and they are discussed in greater detail.

Last edited on Sun Nov 3rd, 2013 01:39 pm by Texas Defender

Posted: Tue Nov 5th, 2013 04:07 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

I disagree with the unsurpassed part, it seems to me there are others who have surpassed Lincoln in terms of the mythology surrounding them. But the mythology surrounding Lincoln is understandable. Think about it, he was assassinated and died fairly soon. By which I mean it didn't take days or months for him to die, it took hours for him to die. So it seems it was that much quicker to begin immortalizing him.

The fact is there is a bizarre "don't speak ill of the dead" custom we have. I actually overheard a custom my mom was having with one of her cousins recently in which she revealed that her mother had told her to never sugar coat people after they die, don't make them out to be saints but rather always be willing to talk about both the good and bad. And it got me to thinking about it. When someone dies, especially world leaders who we don't view as monsters, then we tend to have this deal where we only want to emphasize their good points to the point where we may over emphasize the smallest detail of good to make the individual saintly. While at the same time choosing to ignore that which either we disagree with or which goes against what is told to make them saintly.

The view of Lincoln today really began with his death. Think about what Stanton supposedly said at the time of his death, either "Now he belongs to the ages" or "Now he belongs to the angels." I've actually in the past four or five years seen it said that Stanton didn't actually say either at the time Lincoln died, he said it years later and it has since been claimed that he said it at the time Lincoln died. But whether he said it then or years after the fact it shows that the view of Lincoln was already changing at his death.

Current time is 07:39 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1356 seconds (15% database + 85% PHP). 25 queries executed.