Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Accusations of Guilt - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Jul 12th, 2006 03:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Interesting account of this incident here.

Posted: Wed Jul 12th, 2006 03:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
calcav

Mana: 

This account occurs as the 55th USCT is retreating through Ripley, MS after Brice's Crossroads,

"While fighting at this place, large numbers of men and women secreted in the houses, fired upon our men from the doors and windows, and Colonel McCraig, of the One Hundred and Twentieth Illinois, was shot dead in this manner while bravely urging on his men. Our men becoming enraged at the sight of this, poured a volley among them, killing and wounding several women."

Posted: Wed Jul 12th, 2006 04:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
burnsideshot

Mana: 

Interesting article Javal...and interesting accounts too!  This stuff truly amazes me.  I do know military or otherwise...someone fires a shot at me, it would make no difference what their gender was or how old they were...I'm popping a cap in their arse ;)

Godspeed - Jessie

Last edited on Wed Jul 12th, 2006 04:51 pm by burnsideshot

Posted: Sun Jul 16th, 2006 04:10 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
burnsideshot

Mana: 

My Post is DYYYYYYYYIIIIINNGGGGGG  ;)  It's been fun though.  Thanks everyone for all of your input.  :P

Posted: Mon Jul 17th, 2006 07:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
naakke

Mana: 

As a budding historian, I have always tried to stay very objective when dealing with topics such as war crimes during various periods of history.  We cannot forget that everything written has a bias of some sort.  Some bias is more apparent than others, but it is always there.

Please note that as I write this, I am not a Union apologist.  My people rode with Morgan in '63 and sat out the war in Camp Douglas and Lookout Point.

It is a tricky minefield of emotion when we start pointing fingers of accusation about the assaults on civilians in war.  I have never yet had a conversation no matter how tame or heated about this that did not bend greatly on the matter of perspective.  Very, very few people would say that the Nazi political machine was not guilty of grotesque atrocities against mankind.  But how many civilians did the British bombers kill during WWII.  The US bombers with their attempt at precision bombing at least were trying to focus on industrial and military targets, but the Sir Arthur Harris set out to "dehouse" Germany.  This is fully supported by his own writings.

So, from one perspective, we can feel that Sherman was a monster for what he did to the South, but I cannot see how you can seperate the deeds and motives of Sherman from several other leaders in history that we may be more sympathetic to.  It bends on perspective.  While blatantly obvious and true that the Union soldiers committed personal acts of barbarism, I feel that it would be very very difficult to identify any army in history that did not have cases such as this.  I support our troops in Iraq to the core of my soul, but my dearest friend upon returning has confided in me that some of our soldiers over there are just plain mean and like to hurt people and break things. 

I think a responsible commentator needs to be able to honestly apply a standard across a wide spectrum of situations including ones that may darken the image of someone or some organization that they support.

Just my coppers.....

Posted: Mon Oct 31st, 2011 08:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
BobInFla

Mana: 

Albert Sailhorst wrote: My opinion, and it is just an opinion, is that Sherman destroyed civilian property, not military property, which makes him guilty of war crimes (or any such term as may apply).
so the B-29 crews that dropped the atom bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki and the British RAF crews that fire bombed the German cities of Dresden and Hamburg are guilty of war crimes? Sherman did not kill civilians, he just destroyed the property of civilians who were sustaining the war effort and other resources such as railroad tracks.

Last edited on Mon Oct 31st, 2011 08:55 pm by BobInFla

Posted: Tue Nov 1st, 2011 10:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
27th Post
pender

Mana: 

I would assume that is also your opinion of William Quantrill.

Pender

Posted: Sat Nov 26th, 2011 10:32 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
csamillerp

Mana: 

I guess this would be a very out of date post but i dont care. I'm from south carolina, so i've been raised on these stories. my question would be, If Lee had burned everything in sight from the potomac river to Gettysburg, including civilian property, would he have gotten away scotch free after the war? I doubt that. I 150% agree that an invading army has the right to destroy military structures and structures that supply those military structures. But to burn someones house down, especially those who only had women in them was wrong. Lee refused to burden the northern civilians with what had been done to virginia i think out of honor the north should have done the same.

Current time is 06:10 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3530 seconds (15% database + 85% PHP). 26 queries executed.