Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Abraham Lincoln is the only president.... - Abraham Lincoln - The Participants of the War - Mikitary & Civilian - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Nov 26th, 2013 01:01 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

..... to receive a patent. That was Patent #6469 granted on 22 May 1849, while he was serving his one term in the Congress. The patent was for: " A device for bouying vessels over shoals." The device was never manufactured.

Thomas Jefferson was one of the greatest inventors of his day, but he never applied for any patents.

Here is a question for all the trivia buffs. Which president was the only one to receive a trademark? The surprising answer is here:

http://www.inventionmysteries.com/presidents.html

Posted: Tue Nov 26th, 2013 08:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

I thought it was actually one of the early 20th century Presidents who had a patent. And I think they screwed up with the placement of that question in the article. If you read the article you should be able to narrow it down to Washington and Lincoln, I think it should have been asked earlier. Also, Nixon invented impeachment?

Posted: Tue Nov 26th, 2013 08:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Hellcat-

I wouldn't say that Mr.Nixon invented impeachment, as is said in the article. He was never actually impeached, only threatened with it. Apparently, Andrew Johnson gets no respect, though actually, I would say that the Founding Fathers invented impeachment.

Being impeached is very different from being convicted by the Senate and removed from office, though in the case of Mr. Johnson, it was a very close run thing.

Posted: Tue Nov 26th, 2013 10:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

No, I'm not disagreeing with you on the impeachment thing, I'm just wondering where they get that Nixon was impeached. That was a little before my time (like a few months before), but as I recall Nixon resigned before an impeachment hearing could happen. But like you say, Johnson gets ignored.

Actually, this almost sounds like it was written by the same "history professor" that was doing my baby sisters online college history courses a year or two ago. We were talking about the course, and she said something about impeachment to which I mentioned Johnson was impeached and she vehemently said no because her professor said he was never impeached. Has always made me wonder since then just how accurate her history course was.

Posted: Tue Nov 26th, 2013 11:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Hellcat-

In July of 1974, the House Committee on the Judiciary approved three articles of impeachment against President Nixon (Obstruction of Justice, Abuse of Power, and Defiance of Subpeonas).

Mr. Nixon resigned on 09 August 1974, before the full House could vote on the articles.

The: "History professor" who gave the online course should know that only two U.S. presidents have ever been impeached, and he should also know who they were.

Posted: Wed Nov 27th, 2013 05:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Hence why I question how accurate her history course was, TD.

Posted: Thu Nov 28th, 2013 12:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Old Blu

Mana: 

A lot of times having impeachment charges brought and being convicted of the same
is somewhat confusing. Johnson had charges brought against him but he wasn't convicted.
So he wasn't impeached.

Last edited on Thu Nov 28th, 2013 12:46 pm by Old Blu

Posted: Thu Nov 28th, 2013 01:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Old Blu-

You are incorrect, Sir. Impeachment refers only to the charges brought against the officer involved. It is similar to an indictment by a grand jury. If the officer is found guilty, then he is convicted of the charges.

Presidents Johnson and Clinton were both impeached, but neither was convicted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impeachment_in_the_United_States

Last edited on Thu Nov 28th, 2013 01:42 pm by Texas Defender

Posted: Thu Nov 28th, 2013 10:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Isn't impeachment actually the first step in the process of removing a politician from office. You have to have the person impeached and then the next step is a vote to have them removed from office. Both Clinton and Johnson met the minimum number of votes for impeachment but neither met the minimum to be removed from office.

Current time is 11:05 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3387 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 25 queries executed.