Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

What was wrong with J. Davis? - Jefferson Davis - The Participants of the War - Mikitary & Civilian - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Dec 23rd, 2013 01:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Hi folks. Was Reading Jeff Davis' farewell to the US Senate when one statement got me curious. he said...

The occasion does not invite me to go into argument; and my physical condition would not permit me to do so, if it were otherwise; and yet it seems to become me to say something on the part of the State I here represent on an occasion as solemn as this.

Anyone know what his physical problem was?

Posted: Mon Dec 23rd, 2013 08:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

javal1-

I believe that Mr. Davis is referring to the chronic problem that he had with his eye, which is discussed on another Jefferson Davis thread.

The eye caused him considerable pain and discomfort throughout much of his life. (He also had recurring bouts of malaria). He once said that he did not know why the eye had not burst.

I have read that he had surgery on the eye in 1860, so its most likely that the eye was again his problem in 1861.

Last edited on Mon Dec 23rd, 2013 08:18 pm by Texas Defender

Posted: Mon Dec 23rd, 2013 09:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

I as cadet at West Point his broke his arm. But TD's answer makes more sense. I mean unless it healed in such a way to be even more sensitive to the weather changes than I'd expect (I love approaching storms, usually feel 'em in my wrists) I doubt it would have caused him that much of a problem. Maybe I'm wrong.

Posted: Mon Dec 23rd, 2013 10:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Ok, scratch the broken arm, found what I was thinking about It's from Douglas Lee Gibboney's Scandals of the Civil War on page eight

One might imagine that would hae ended Cadet Davis's sub rosa revelries at Benny Havens---but one would be wrong. The following year, Davis and another student were back at the barroom when word came that a West Point professor was on his way in. The two students raced out a back trail toward the academy but Davis tripped and tumbled down a sixty-foot embakment. He suffered serious injuries and spent most of the next four months recovering at the post hospital. Somehow though, he managed to again avoid prosecution for being at Benny's.

These were the injuries I was thinking about. Page 9 has another injury worth noting:

In the winter of 1838, yet another booze-tinged adventure nearly killed Davis. He was then in Washington, making contacts to possibly restart his military career after becoming bored with life on his Mississippi plantation. One evening he attended a reception given by the secretary of war which was followed by a post-midnight champagne supper. Afterward Ohio Senator William Allen led Davis back to his boarding house, walking through the dark streets of the capital. Allen however had drunk too freely of the champagne and stumbled off a bridge into Tiber Creek. Jefferson Davis followed right behind him, a plunge that nearly proved fatal when Davis' head struck a rock. Allen, drunkenly reciting a campaign speech, pulled Davis to safety and managed to get him back to his quarters. The next morning, Davis was unconscious, and it took several hours for the doctors to revive him.

Current time is 10:16 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3020 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 26 queries executed.