Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

CW era letter - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Jan 23rd, 2014 07:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
wdwrkrry

Mana: 

I recently received some old papers from my great grandfather. In the box was a letter from his father to his father dated September 30, 1863. Camp of the 28th Det. at Liberty Mills. In the letter he talks about a "littel fight" on the 21st. He was from North Carolina and his father resided in Lambsville, NC at that time. I am trying to figure out which battle he was referring to and where Liberty Mills might be. I know of Chicamaunga but don't know if that is what he was referring to. Any info is much appreciated. Ray

Posted: Thu Jan 23rd, 2014 09:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Right w the only Liberty Mills I can find is in Indiana. The question is what side was he fighting on. Although North Carolina was a Confederate state during the war, there some units that fought for the North. Trying to look up Lambsville, NC I managed to find that Lambsville was located in Chatam county in 1895 (http://www.livgenmi.com/1895/NC/Index/l.htm). That puts Lambsville in the Piedmont region, or central part of the state (may have to break out my old text book and see if there's a possibility of it being in the Piedmont Crescent). That's important in that it let's us look at both Federal and Confederate regiments raised in NC and where they might have been raised. If he fought for the North and was at Liberty Mills, Indiana September 30, 1863, then Camp of the 28th Det. may either have been a training camp or a POW camp (in which case he may have been a guard). If he fought for the South, then the camp was most likely a POW camp.

Posted: Thu Jan 23rd, 2014 10:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
wdwrkrry

Mana: 

He was in the Confederate army, the 6th NC as I recall. Lambsville was just east of Saxapaw on the Haw river, west and just south of Chapel Hill. He also reported they took 24 prisoners on the 21st and the prisoners reported 3 dead. He also said 7 men were shot for desertion which leads me to believe it might have been a major battle.

Posted: Wed Jan 29th, 2014 08:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

I don't know if this will be any help to you or not. http://www.civilwarindex.com/armync/6th_nc_infantry.html

Posted: Fri Jan 31st, 2014 03:47 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
wdwrkrry

Mana: 

Thanks for the link and all the help. I found out he was in the battle of Jack's shop in what is now Rochelle, Va. Liberty Mills was just south of there at the river crossing. Still trying to find out which unit he was in. I thought I knew but now am not sure. Ray

Posted: Fri Jan 31st, 2014 05:18 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Not a problem. And thanks for the Haw River comment, we moved around a bit when I was a kid an spent a few years in Altamahaw, NC. Can remember going to Haw River to a fish monger there. Also remember going to a butcher and getting foot longs for holidays and picnics, but want to say that was Glen Raven.

Current time is 01:57 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2958 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 26 queries executed.