Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Photos from 2008 - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon May 12th, 2014 02:11 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Ok, back in the sprig of 2008 I ended up traveling with my folks to visit my baby sister in Virginia Beach. She's active duty Navy and was going to be in VB at the time so we decided to go visit her. While there we ended up visiting Nauticus and the Hampton Roads Naval Museum (which is located on the second floor of Nauticus)in Norfolk primarily to see BB-64 USS Wisconsin. Naturally we also hit the Hampton Roads Naval Museum which included displays from the Civil War. After six years I recently uploaded some of these pics on Flickr. Haven't had much luck on preview to try and post the pics in this thread so I'm posting a link to that particular album. https://www.flickr.com/photos/knight1192a/sets/72157644212412118/

Posted: Mon May 19th, 2014 12:40 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Well, so much for hoping it was just the preview that wasn't working with these pictures.

Last edited on Mon May 19th, 2014 12:41 am by Hellcat

Posted: Thu May 22nd, 2014 12:52 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Ok, I finally got it so I can post the images rather than a link to the album.

USS George Washington Parke Custis. Model of the balloon aircraft carrier USS George Washington Parke Custis.

Iron Plating. Based on the images around it, I think this is plating from the USS Monitor. Keep in mind the date in the photos is when I was at the Hampton Roads Naval Museum so I don't remember what everything was. Some things are conjuncture by what's in the pick, some are memory (which is really just some of the models), some come from looking things up online and matching them to my photos, and some is me just plain guess what it was after six years.

CSS Virginia. The model I remember as it and the George Washington Parke Custi I got excited seeing. I don't remember if that bar was supposed to be a piece of the Virginia's casement or what, but I seem to recall it came from somewhere on the Virginia.

Turret. They had a section of the museum devoted to the famous battle of the Monitor and the Virginia ad I do recall this was a mockup of the Monitor's turret.

CSS Florida. I actually had to look this up online and matched u the bottles and shoes in the background to a picture of artifacts from the Florida laid out exactly as in this photo. I think the model you can just barely see any of was the Florida.

Dishes. I don't recall exactly what this was. I think it was either supposed to be representative of life aboard the Monitor or the Virginia. That's what I said on Flickr too, but now that I think about it, I'm wondering if it wasn't life aboard the Florida. I'd have to look again at the photos on my jump drive and get their numbers to determine the order it actually appears in as to whether or not I can rule out the Florida.

Last edited on Thu May 22nd, 2014 12:53 am by Hellcat

Current time is 08:58 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3464 seconds (22% database + 78% PHP). 26 queries executed.