Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

IF THE U.S. HAD LOST HER CIVIL WAR... - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Jun 6th, 2014 05:35 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Decian

Mana: 

I've been studying and pondering that cataclysm for decades, and have matured a series of conclusions as to what almost happened to us. Namely, the United States would have "perished from the earth," and the world would have entered "a new dark age."

I offer a thorough explanation for this view in my public-service blog, "Civic Mentor ~~ Bulletins." The actual article's name is the same as the subject line, above.

If you would like to check it out, here is the URL (just click it, below -- this is a not-for-profit blog):

http://vnylcitygov.blogspot.com/2014/06/a-new-age-of-darkness-if-united-states.html

Please take a look, come back, and tell me what you think. I'm sincerely interested. Thanks

Last edited on Wed Jul 9th, 2014 01:22 pm by Decian

Posted: Sun Jun 8th, 2014 12:06 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Decian

Mana: 

1. By the time I had worked through numerous re-writes of that article (up until this very moment), I finally came to realize that I had allowed too much personal anger to creep in. I didn't mean for that to happen -- and I hope I have fixed that mistake. The issues are too big for that -- they were what they were -- and our ancestors did what they did -- under the force of their particular situations -- and that's that.

2. Fate has its own agenda -- and it orchestrated this huge upheaval for its own ends. Fortunately, I believe, it worked to our great advantage, this time.

3. I thought I was writing as objectively as I could, under the pressures of intense patriotic feeling. But I now realize that it was counterproductive to leave-in harshly judgmental words in the article's conclusion. Who am I to hold myself up as final judge?

4. We are "all children of circumstance." To change the "child," then change the circumstance -- if it can be changed. That's the only way we can ever become better (or worse) than what we are. The war was one such change in circumstance which produced an even better "child."

5. We, as our ancestors were, each are the sum-total of everything that has ever happened to us -- no more and no less. We do and did our best, as circumstance permits and enables. Not everyone can be right at the same time. Perhaps, none can be, entirely. It always depends on the situation that contains us.

6. WE ALL MATTER TO ONE ANOTHER IN THIS PARTICULAR WORLD. From the day any of us were born, the world changed -- for better or worse -- but change it did. We all matter in what we think and do -- or not think and do. Our every act -- small or large, good or bad --ricochets along the great human network -- changing things for better or worse -- far beyond any horizon we will ever get to see -- for long after we have even forgotten that we so-acted.

7. I'm hoping that what I left in place will be sufficient to convey what I think that war means -- to improve our common circumstance, at least a little. That my words will help widen and deepen any reader's appreciation of that war's role in the GREAT HUMAN CHAIN-REACTION which connects the very first humans to the very last ones.

Last edited on Mon Jun 9th, 2014 08:36 pm by Decian

Posted: Mon Jun 9th, 2014 08:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Decian

Mana: 

Can anyone else think of any other reasons why it is incredibly good fortune that the US won that war?

Posted: Tue Jun 10th, 2014 11:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
wondering

Mana: 

Decian wrote:
Can anyone else think of any other reasons why it is incredibly good fortune that the US won that war?

On occasion I think modern Americans have forgotten about charity and justice, faith in God. Your founding declarations can never be renounced; the world won't allow it.

Posted: Wed Jun 11th, 2014 07:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
wondering

Mana: 

The lists, sir?! :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCSzL5-SPHM

Posted: Thu Jun 12th, 2014 12:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Decian

Mana: 

Thanks for your responses, "wondering." I'm not quite clear on your meanings, though. Especially the last -- what "lists?" Would you explain?

Posted: Thu Jun 12th, 2014 03:46 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
wondering

Mana: 

Aye, sir. The American Civil War was fought for a reason. Mankind cannot bear the back of the Great Republic turned, even if sayso puts me on "the list". Like it or not, for over two centuries the United States has had a responsibility more than to itself. The beacon of your forefathers must not be lost, nor their weighty charge.

Posted: Thu Jun 12th, 2014 04:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Decian

Mana: 

Thank you, sir. It seems that our destiny is as secure as fate allows. But fate has its own agenda.

No telling how it's all going to turn out -- but I think the chances would be so much better, if only we'd stop allowing the past to keep on hurting our unity and future.

Posted: Fri Jun 13th, 2014 09:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
wondering

Mana: 

We are in agreement, good sir; trust the Creator to turn hearts (but keep our powder dry). ;)

Posted: Sat Jun 14th, 2014 07:23 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
wondering

Mana: 

And my apologies, Decian. I have a tendency to channel Goldwater at times.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!"

:)

Posted: Sat Jun 14th, 2014 01:46 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Decian

Mana: 

Thanks for the great quote! I had long forgotten it, but it is a very apt and wise selection.)(90)

Posted: Sat Jun 14th, 2014 03:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Fifty years ago, I was a Goldwater fan. I remember the campaign theme: "In your heart, you know hes right."

One day during the 1964 campaign, I was watching a Goldwater rally on TV. I had to laugh when a small plane flew over. It was towing a sign that read: "In your guts, you know hes nuts."

There is a lot less humor in the culture today. The forces of Political Correctness are firmly entrenched, and people seem to be looking for any excuse that they can imagine to feel insulted.

Last edited on Sat Jun 14th, 2014 03:48 pm by Texas Defender

Posted: Tue Jun 17th, 2014 06:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
wondering

Mana: 

Bullseye, Defender, such a humorous and entrepreneurial stunt today warrants Congressional investigation. I yearn for that era, boots one at a time, saving for stuff wanted. With the bucks now it can never happen, yet I still dream an independent may drift off the plains, Lincolnesque, an eater of fire.

Posted: Tue Jun 17th, 2014 08:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

wondering-

I believe that we are of a like mind. Patience is a virtue lost by most of today's society. The idea of saving money or working for a long time to achieve a goal seems out of fashion in a culture used to seeing all of life's problems solved by the end of a 30 or 60 minute TV program.

I would also say that the dream you expressed is likely to remain only a dream, since I believe that the two major political parties have set up a system that makes the rise of a viable third party virtually (if not completely) impossible.

Posted: Wed Jun 18th, 2014 10:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
wondering

Mana: 

Never say never -- an old soldier on a dark horse could do it. :)

Current time is 01:23 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3860 seconds (8% database + 92% PHP). 26 queries executed.