Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Civil War engagement in NY? - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Jan 12th, 2007 04:22 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Farragut was 10 years old when he went to sea.  So he was about 12 during the War of 1812.  His foster father was David Porter who befriended the Farragut family about the time his father died.  Farragut's father was from an island off the coast of Spain but had served in the Revolutionary War. 

David was raised along with Porters sons.  

Posted: Fri Jan 12th, 2007 05:36 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

I think, sadly, that most folks today only know of the Battle of Mobile Bay as being the place where Farragut is supposed to have exclaimed "Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!" At least that's what was being taught to kids when I was in elementary and high school, whether they even include the quote, much less where it was made, in the lessons on the war today I haven't the faintest clue.

Posted: Sat Sep 22nd, 2012 02:51 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
sallieparker

Mana: 

VirtualCivilWar wrote:
I have a question.  Yesterday, in the mail, I received a cool Civil War facts slider from the CWPT.  It shows a ton of information on it, date of battle, commanders, losses, etc.  On the back of it is has a section called, "Total number of engagemetns in each of the following states and territories during the War"  I found a few things interesting....Virginia had 519 engagements on her soil, while the next largest number of battles was in Tennessee with 298!  But the one that confuses me is that it says that NY had one engagement on her soil.  Does anyone know anything about this?  Are they talking about the draft riot?  Please let me know, I'm very curious.  Thanks!

Mike

Some saboteurs (fire-starters) were caught in November 1864. You can find this discussed many places, including here:
http://www.civilwarsignals.org/pages/spy/confedsecret/confedsecret.html

That is the one indubitable case, though there must have been many others. Note the involvement of Col. Martin, late of Morgan's brigade. These were professionals acting under the direction of the CSA war department, not local agitators.

The far more famous "New York Draft Riots" of 1863 must have had some Confederate secret-service involvement, as telegraph lines were cut in a very organized fashion at the start of the uprisings. The riots do not seem to have been spontaneous (the usual explanation that they were a protest against the latest draft round is hardly credible; the first day of the draft went by very peaceably). If this really was a serious CSA operation, it is curious that no hard evidence has come to light. On the other hand, it is reasonable to think that the July 1863 conflagrations in NYC were, like Morgan's raid, timed to coincide with Lee's invasion of the North.

Current time is 10:16 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1447 seconds (15% database + 85% PHP). 27 queries executed.