Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Fields of Honor - Civil War Books - Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Sep 16th, 2006 01:41 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Jimtno

Mana: 

Hi all,

I have read a number of Eds books over the years. Up till this one, I would have said his II volume set on Vicksburg was his best work.

However I feel Fields of Honor is his best work.  As the book unfolds, you can here Eds voice just ringing through the pages....

Those of us who have had the priviledge to either walk with him on his many tours, or have been with him as he tromped Gettysburg (I will never forget my first meeting with him in the visitor center at GB.) will tell his voice is so distinct, that it stays with you. That is the case. You literally feel like you are walking these fields of honor with him...

I think so highly of this book , that if you have one who is just getting started on reading on the CW, this is one of those books that are a must read. Even for a novice...... Great Book..........

JIM

Posted: Wed Nov 1st, 2006 02:27 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Cap

Mana: 

Took Jim's advice...got the book....enjoyed it very much!!! I especially enjoyed Ed's description on the recovery and raising of the Ironclad Cairo. Having attended the Vicksburg Muster a couple of years ago and actually seeing the Cairo on display (very well done at that I might add), it was interesting to read of his involvement.

Another section of the book that sticks with me (oddly enough) is the Acknowledgments at the end of the book. Mr. Bearss's reputation speaks for itself, but to read about those people that have been important in his life, and those that in his opinion have been vital to preservation, was very well written.

Cap

Posted: Sat Nov 4th, 2006 05:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Jimtno

Mana: 

Hi Cap,

Thought you would ike the book......

Jim :cool:

Current time is 03:47 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2878 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 26 queries executed.