Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

New here and currently doing research - Introductions - About this Forum - Start Here - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Dec 31st, 2007 04:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
Don

Mana: 

"Stealing" is such a harsh word.... I believe it's called foraging when it's authorized. And it costs you a wink and half a chicken when it isn't. 8^P

Posted: Mon Dec 31st, 2007 06:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
j harold 587

Mana: 

you may wish to check http://www.ohiocivilwar.com/index.html they have listings of almost all regimental histories. The veteran's asociation may also help with information on his records and unit. good luck/

Posted: Mon Dec 31st, 2007 07:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
ole

Mana: 

"Stealing" is such a harsh word....
I like "liberating." Although no one asked the chicken her opinion. Maybe "confiscating"?

Rassling with this one, but I can't resist. When you see a blue jacket with red piping, you know the branch of service it represents. When you see a cavalry jacket and trousers, what is the trim color?

ole

Posted: Mon Dec 31st, 2007 08:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

I'd say it's a "captured" chicken.....

Posted: Mon Dec 31st, 2007 11:03 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
ole

Mana: 

That's it, Albert! Contraband.

Thanks.

ole

Posted: Tue Jan 1st, 2008 02:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
younglobo

Mana: 

Ole.. Are you hinting that the color of cav is yellow and therefore cavmen are cowards??

Posted: Tue Jan 1st, 2008 06:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
27th Post
Don

Mana: 

Well, as the old saying goes, "If you ain't cav, you ain't"

Ole, red piping's for those folks who have trouble with math. 8^P The piping for mounted forces during the Civil War depended on the regiment. After the congressional orders that made all mounted regiments "cavalry", the official piping color would be cavalry yellow. However, soldiers within the regiments were able to wear uniforms with their old piping (orange for dragoons, green for the mounted rifles) until they wore out. So the piping could be one of three.

I do have to admit, though, that the shoulderboards on my dress blues are yellow. Then again, the entire army now uses yellow stripes on the trousers. I prefer to think of that as enlightenment.

I agree, contraband would be the correct term for the chicken. That way, when the chicken has been obtained, it has been liberated, and there's no need to give up half because no standing orders have been violated.

Lobo, what are you trying to say? 8^P

Posted: Tue Jan 1st, 2008 07:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
ole

Mana: 

Ole.. Are you hinting that the color of cav is yellow and therefore cavmen are cowards??
The thought never occurred to me.:shock:

ole

Posted: Tue Jan 1st, 2008 08:18 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
29th Post
grgrams

Mana: 

More so, it is liberating the chicken from the oppressive and obvious intent of its (previous) prison warden.  Cleaqrly the intent their is to ingest the chicken itself or to kidnap and consume its get. 

Some infantry and a very few artillery argue many points about the referenced action, but then... they choose to walk.  That alone gives cause to wonder about their judgement while the cavalry rises above the grime and dust that soils the glorious blue piping of the infantry.:D

Posted: Wed Jan 2nd, 2008 12:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
30th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Well, I never saw a dead cavalryman!!!

Posted: Wed Jan 2nd, 2008 01:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
31st Post
Don

Mana: 

Of course not, Albert.  After all, they're out there on picket all the time.  The infantry would have to actually leave their campfires in between battles to see the cavalry in action.  :P

This has led us a good ways from Fuller's request for help with the 78th OVVI, though.

Have any of you heard of heritagequest?  I just found it the other day, and it looks like it could be really helpful for genealogical searches.  There's a good post on it on Brian Downey's Behind Antietam on the Web (can't remember the link).  Newspaper accounts and all kinds of other stuff, might really help ou out, Fuller.

Posted: Thu Jan 3rd, 2008 02:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
32nd Post
younglobo

Mana: 

Some infantry and a very few artillery argue many points about the referenced action, but then... they choose to walk.  That alone gives cause to wonder about their judgement while the cavalry rises above the grime and dust that soils the glorious blue piping of the infantry.:D

well said there G !!! :cool:

besides Why walk when you can ride. LOL

Sorry for the thread hijack but it is SOOO fun. guilty pleasures

oh and a captured chicken while stolen, contraband or conscripted is still one of three things Breakfast, lunch or Dinner and that is the real issue to hungry troopers.

Last edited on Thu Jan 3rd, 2008 02:41 pm by younglobo

Current time is 09:21 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1925 seconds (14% database + 86% PHP). 26 queries executed.