Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

US Sharpshooters/Gettysburg/July 3 - Battle of Gettysburg - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Nov 4th, 2006 10:34 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Regina

Mana: 

Last month, I drove down West Confederate Ave and was surprised to notice a small road off to the right which I hadn't noticed on any of my other 20 or 30 drives down that road.  I pulled in and read the monuments.  They were for Union sharpshooters who were engaged there, behind the enemy lines, on July 3.  Does anyone have more information on this ?  It was the first time I'd heard any reference to this.

Posted: Sat Nov 4th, 2006 11:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Regina,

I believe that was a contingent of Berdan's Sharpshooters (someone correct me if I'm mistaken). There's an excellent website about them here.

Posted: Wed Nov 8th, 2006 02:33 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Ellsworth_37

Mana: 

Hi Regina,

There was a small Federal force from Sickles's Third Corps in that area in the late morning of 2 July. Four companies of the 1st US Sharpshooters and the 3rd Maine (maybe 300 men in total) moved west of the Emmitsburg Road, then north toward Spangler's Woods around noon. There they ran into the 8th, 10th and 11th Alabama of Wilcox's brigade, who pushed them back toward the Peach Orchard in relatively short order. Both the sharpshooters and the Maine men were acting as skirmishers in front of Sickles's main position along the Emmitsburg Road when McLaws's division attacked later that afternoon.

On 3 July both the sharpshooters and 3rd Maine were in reserve behind Sixth Corps troops along the southern end of Cemetary Ridge, and moved north to support the Second Corps (after the Pickett/Pettigrew/Trimble assault).

Posted: Mon Feb 5th, 2007 09:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Regina

Mana: 

Earlier today I came across more information about these sharpshooters while looking at a book about CW weapons.  Yes, the monuments I saw must be from Berdan's regiment.  The book said that July 2, at Gettysburg, was the first chance he had to "show what his men could do."  He had financed his own regiment and provided them with  Colt 50-caliber Sharps, open-sight, breech-loading rifles.  According to the book, the sharpshooters "repelled a much larger force of Confederates for a crucial 20 minutes...a delay which gave Union defenders valuable time to reinforce critical points on their line."  It also said that, "the battle in Pitzer's Woods showed that a few men armed with breechloaders could be more than a match for a far larger force armed with old-fashioned muzzleloaders."

Posted: Tue Feb 6th, 2007 12:28 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Just as a note; Berdan's Men were carrying M1859 Sharps Rifles in .52 caliber.  It is an outstanding weapon; very accurate and every bit as hard hitting as the .577's that were being sent back at them.

Posted: Sun Feb 18th, 2007 05:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Johnny Huma
Johnny Huma

Mana: 

Those reenacters are there every year at "Pitzer Woods" where the recently placed Longstreet Monument is..I also talked with some of these guys on top of Little Round Top and when questioning them down the guy told me that his company was posted there and that of course the guys that fell back out of Pitzer Woods was part of the same unit. Anybody got any real facts on that? I dont recall ever reading that they were a part of the Little Round Top assult but that is what this guy claimed. He also claims that at least 80 percent of the reenactors of the Berdan Sharpshooters are actually decendents of the original Sharpshooters...This guy was really up on his History of the Berdan Sharpshooters and all his equipment he had there also. But still not sure about the Little Round Top episode..Anybody?

Huma

Posted: Sun Feb 18th, 2007 10:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

Berdans men were actualy on both Little & Big Round Top at points during the battle.

Fascinating unit; nothing like it in the world at the time.

Swords work IIRC details some of the movements of those men that day.

Posted: Mon Feb 19th, 2007 11:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Johnny Huma
Johnny Huma

Mana: 

Thanks for the information on that Johan. May have to study up on these guys a little more at Gettysburg. So it seems the guy actually did have the right information. On most of the books I have read on Gettysburg it just has not come up in that material.

Thanks Again

Huma

Posted: Mon Feb 19th, 2007 11:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

Berdans men spent a goodly time of the battle in Skirmish order... hard to find their locations on a map.

Posted: Mon Mar 12th, 2007 10:05 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
gettysburgerrn

Mana: 

The 2nd Us sharpshooter Regt ws deployed by a fence by the slyder farm and skirmished with elements of hoods division (probably Laws men I think). They fought a fighting withdrawal until they reached little round top where some of them formed with Chamberlains 20th Maine's company B (Merril ) on the left .

ken

Posted: Wed Jul 18th, 2012 09:45 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
louren143

Mana: 

If anything, the hallmark of his two movies is compassion for the entire generation that fought the war and endured it's sufferings. Have you actually watched th movies?

(Edited by Admin to remove commercial, non-Civil war Link)

Current time is 01:20 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2273 seconds (26% database + 74% PHP). 25 queries executed.