Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > Civil War Preservation > Richmond, VA: The Museum of the Confederacy is in deep trouble

Richmond, VA: The Museum of the Confederacy is in deep trouble - Civil War Preservation - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Nov 12th, 2006 09:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Widow

Mana: 

Here is an article in the Richmond Times-Dispatch today, Sunday, 12 Nov 2006, about the worsening situation of the Museum of the Confederacy. It has a huge collection of Civil War artifacts, as well as the Confederate White House, where Jefferson Davis live and worked.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD/MGArticle/RTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1149191191042

Posted: Mon Nov 13th, 2006 01:21 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Sarah Elizabeth

Mana: 

As a member of The Museum of the Confederacy, I have been deeply saddened by the recent difficulties there.  It's a great place and the many collections housed there are invaluable connections to our past.

I hope for the best, but receive their newsletters and realize the dire situation they are facing.  Please support the museum if you can.  We cannot afford to lose it!!

Sincerely,

Sarah

Posted: Fri Nov 17th, 2006 03:03 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Art B.

Mana: 

Just curious to know:

Who let the development crop up around the CWH and MotC? Was it the city of Richmond? Henrico County?

Who sponsored the development? City of Richmond? Henrico County? Virginia Commonwealth University?

If, in fact, they were victims of uncontrolled development, the museum and Confederate White House should be assisted financially in finding a new location as well as subsidized to continue their "normal" operations until new sites can be obtained. I seriously doubt the CWH and MotC voted to allow the parking garages, extra wings, etc. to be erected, in essence, cut their own throats.

The VCU Hospital, VCU itself, the city, and [if involved] the county should ALL chip in to pay for the lost revenues AND the costs now foisted upon the two civil war institutions.

Art B. in TampaFL

Posted: Fri Nov 17th, 2006 03:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
David White

Mana: 

Good questions Art, I don't know the answers but would like to know.  I don't thing the hospital has been bad neighbors to the museum and in fact could be consdered good neighbors (allow visitors to park in their parking lot), it's just that they are so huge and the resulting congestion.

Current time is 07:00 pm
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > Civil War Preservation > Richmond, VA: The Museum of the Confederacy is in deep trouble

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1471 seconds (14% database + 86% PHP). 25 queries executed.