Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Display of Flags - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Nov 13th, 2006 06:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

I was watching "Glory" for no doubt the 325th time the other day.  The scene came up where Col. Shaw is ordered by Montgomery to help burn the city of Darien.  I noticed that in showing his disapproval of orders, Shaw orders his colors to be lowered.  The scene quickly transitions to the next scene.  I realize that this simple gesture of holding the flags at waist level obviously showed extreme disapproval.  So this got me thinking about other displays of flags and their significance.  If you are aware of any...please add them on.

Fuller

Posted: Wed Nov 15th, 2006 06:10 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
younglobo

Mana: 

fuller

Dont know about the flag deal , but i thought you might find this interesting , when you watch glory next time and are watching the scene where Col. Shaw is doing a sabre drill on some unsuspecting melons , then talks to his friend, if you look toward the back ground a Sorrel colored horse with rider prances by, that is my Reenactment unit Capt Reed and his mount Shelby. Know its off topic but thought you might enjoy it.

younglobo

Posted: Wed Nov 15th, 2006 06:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

I guess I will have to watch it for the 326th time.

Posted: Wed Nov 15th, 2006 06:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
calcav

Mana: 

Also watch for the wagon that passes through the training camp. It has crossed sabres and the numeral 2, for the 2nd Massachusetts Cavalry. A good touch on someones part, the 2nd Mass Cav was the only other unit at the Readville camp when the 54th was there. The two Colonels, Shaw and Lowell were brothers-in-law.

Tom

Current time is 11:34 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1523 seconds (14% database + 86% PHP). 26 queries executed.