Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Forrest and MTSU - Civil War Preservation - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Nov 22nd, 2006 12:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Coy

Mana: 

I see that NBF's name has come up again at Middle Tennessee State University.  It seems that the ROTC building is named after NBF.  I'll admit I don't know the history of the building, i.e. when was it named? who endowed the naming, was it always named for Forrest, etc.?    I really don't know much about it and see that the SCV has picked up the fight.

My question to the learned group is, isn't this a fight for CW preservation?  I am not a great Forrest fan.  Those that know me know that I'm about as Union blue as one can get but I am concerned about these type of attacks on history.  Should I be concerned about this?  I don't know, it bothers me.  I'll probably be considered a racist if I don't support a name change but it seems to me an attempt to wipe out memory of the Civil War.

Thanks for listening. :)

Kevin S. Coy  

Posted: Wed Nov 22nd, 2006 02:46 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
ole

Mana: 

Coy:

I'm probably bluer than you are, and I totally reject this PC crap about possibly offending someone who has no conception about which he or she is offended. Chiseling NBF's name off the building will change nothing. It will serve only to avoid offending a handful of cretins who have been told that they should be offended by the name. Racism has nothing to do with it; it's PC revisionism at its finest.

Ole

Posted: Wed Nov 29th, 2006 06:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
younglobo

Mana: 

makes sense to me to name a ROTC building IN TN after NBF afterall  his was a tactical genius and that is what the are trying to create at ROTC is good officers. Probably someone heard of the Fort Pillow deal and he wore a confederate uniform and off you go SOOOO PC. Lets not study history , lets just erase it or change it.

Posted: Wed Apr 4th, 2007 01:40 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
texas ranger

Mana: 

yanks were just sore about loosing so bad to bedford and had to create an outrage. "War means fighting and fighting means killin".

Current time is 04:26 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3186 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 26 queries executed.