Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Civil War Christmas Gifts - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Dec 26th, 2006 03:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Marie

Mana: 

I just know we were all very good boys and girls last year and Santa brought everyone lots of presents.

What did y'all  get?  Books?  Music?  Clothing? Or maybe that new wall tent all us reenactors want?

Regards, from NW Ohio,

Jana

Posted: Wed Dec 27th, 2006 06:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
kj3553
Born in the wrong century

Mana: 

Hi Jana. NW Ohio? Yay! That's where I'm from, too.

I got the Gettysburg game by Talonsoft. I haven't had a decent Civil War game to play since I got my new computer and could not use my old games, which were made for Windows 98.

I know, there are games out there but I just hadn't looked very hard for them. Too many other things taking priority as to how my money is to be spent. :P But Santa must have taken pity on me and dropped this one in my stocking. Now I have to load it and remember how to play this particular one.

Kathy

Posted: Wed Dec 27th, 2006 08:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

My wife made me 2 hand stitched civilian undershirts.

My Captain presented me w/ a fine bottle of Hennessey...

My father gave me his 1st edition Grants Memoirs.  I gave him a leather bound hardback copy of Hardtack & Coffee & a 1970's vintage Sherman's Memoirs

I gave myself a couple outstanding books on the ACW from my local Half Price Books.

Posted: Wed Dec 27th, 2006 08:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Marie

Mana: 

First Edition of Grant's Memoirs???

Wow...you must have been a good boy:shock:

I got the new bio of Varina Davis, Cozzens' book on Stone's River, Jacobon's "For Cause and Country" and the National Geographic "Eyewitness to the Civil War"

Plus I got a dress length for a new day dress, a minie ball and a regift.

Last year I gave my Mom & step-dad a 1000 peice jigsaw puzzle titled "The Civil War"

They worked it and framed it and it hung in their living room for most of the year, until they gave it to me  :)

Regards,

Jana

Posted: Wed Dec 27th, 2006 08:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Marie

Mana: 

Kathy,

Go west on Central Avenue about 35 miles, or until you come to the second stoplight.

Go through the stoplight, and park on the right hand side of the street, about halfway down the block...get out of your car and holler...you're in front of my office  :)

Regards,

Jana

Posted: Wed Dec 27th, 2006 10:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
kj3553
Born in the wrong century

Mana: 

Marie wrote: Kathy,

Go west on Central Avenue about 35 miles, or until you come to the second stoplight.

Go through the stoplight, and park on the right hand side of the street, about halfway down the block...get out of your car and holler...you're in front of my office  :)

Regards,

Jana
Well heck, we're practically neighbors! Howdy!!:)

You have chosen to ignore JDC Duncan. click Here to view this post

Posted: Thu Dec 28th, 2006 01:34 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Santa was very good to me. No sure I was deserving, though, but anyway, St Nick did favor me with not one, but two identical Civil War desk calenders with daily triva.  One is going beside my computer, but the other ...well, I don't know just yet what I will do with the other. 

Santa also was kind enough to bestow upon me some excellent Civil War books. Now the challenge is deciding which to read first.

Rush's Lancers: The Sixth Pennsylvania Cavalry in the Civil War by Eric J Wittenburg

The Battle of Monroe's Crossroads and the Civil War's Final Campaign by Eric J Wittenburg

Kill-Cavalry: The Life of Union General Hugh Judson Killpatrick by Samuel J Martin

Shiloh: Bloody April by Wiley Sword

Very Happy New Year to every one here. May 2007 bring you all the best of luck and health.

Posted: Thu Dec 28th, 2006 05:32 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

My sister in law asked me what I wanted so I sent her a list.  She got me For Cause and For Country and it is even autographed!!!  She also got me Jeff Shaara's Civil War Battlefields. 

My good friends from South Carolina  gave me Burke Davis's biography of Stonewall Jackson

The Petersurg Campaign The Battle of the Crater, "The Horrid Pit"  and a book on Appomattox Courthouse.    A print of The Surrender at Appomattox, and two Palmetto Roses from Charleston.   Was a very Civil War Christmas. 

Posted: Thu Dec 28th, 2006 03:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
ole

Mana: 

I gave myself a shopping orgy through the secondary/used market, plus Scales' new book, Sherman Invades Georgia.

Ole

Posted: Fri Dec 29th, 2006 03:50 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

I bought myself and my dad each an autographed hardback edition of calcav (Tom's) book "Bear Flag and Bay State".  It's about the 2nd Regiment of Cavalry, Massachusetts Volunteers from California.  He is a humble man who never speaks of his fine work.  Yes people, we have great talent on the board with us.  I can't wait to start reading it.  Also be looking in an upcoming edition of Blue&Gray magazine.  You will find his name there too for a main article.

Fuller 

Posted: Fri Dec 29th, 2006 04:27 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Fuller what a treat, and thanks for the information on the article.  I am looking forward to going to Corinth one day and meeting Tom in person.  He just gave one of our Round Table members a tour there after I contacted him.  I am going to have to add this book to my book list .

Susan

Posted: Sat Dec 30th, 2006 01:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
Harry

Mana: 

My daughter and son-in-law gave me "The Civil War, Blood and Honor" three dvd set. My wife gave me a 100pdr Parrott Rifle in Fortress Emplacement model from WRM Graphics. Great model detail!

Posted: Sun Dec 31st, 2006 01:22 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
LTBunten

Mana: 

My sweetheart bought me "Civil War-- A Complete Photographic History" by William C. Davis and Bell Wiley. Looks like hours of fun, this thing is huge!!! Hope you all have a safe and happy New Year!!

Paula

Posted: Sun Dec 31st, 2006 03:29 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Paula I got that book two years ago for Christmas from a friend .  I love it .  It is a wonderful book.  I still am going though it .  Sooo much to see and read. 

Enjoy the book .  Nice present. 

Susan

Posted: Sun Dec 31st, 2006 11:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
Regina

Mana: 

I went to the bookstore today with a gift card I received for Christmas and came home with "The Story of the Confederacy" by Robert Selph Henry, "Fredericksburg to Chancellorsville--The Longest Journey" by Shelby Foote, and "Freedom--Novel of Abraham Lincoln and the Civil War" by William Safire.  Looks like many hours of good reading ahead.

Posted: Mon Jan 1st, 2007 01:47 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Let's face it we are all addicted . . . . to books!!!!

Posted: Mon Jan 1st, 2007 04:14 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

susansweet wrote: Let's face it we are all addicted . . . . to books!!!!
Food never goes out of print...  Half Price Books is a lot fewer carbs than McDonalds.

Posted: Mon Jan 1st, 2007 04:22 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

True , true .  When I traveled cross country I hit every outlet bookstore I could find .  Plus every bookstore at the National parks I walked into I walked out with a pile of books. 

Posted: Sat Jan 6th, 2007 07:01 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Well, I guess for me at least the question is kinda two fold as my birthday is a little over a week before Christmas. So I guess I'll just go with everything I either recieved or purchased with giftcards and money I recieved for both. The only thing I actually recieved was Volumes I and II of the Civil War Minutes: Conderate DVDs, and that was for my birthday. With some of the money I got for my birthday I purchased More Strange Tales of the Civil War by Michael Sanders. A Barnes and Nobel giftcard I got for Christmas resulted in my ordering Like Men of War: Black Troops in the Civil War 1862-1865 by Noah Andre Trudeau. And finally, with some cash I got for Christmas I bought God Rest Ye Merry, Soldiers by James McIvor. The funny thing on the last book is that at the time I purchased Mr. Sanders's book I saw Mr. McIvor's book and, based on the synopsis on the back, figured it was a Christmas novel set during the war rather than a non-fiction book. So I turned it down because I didn't want a novel, but picked it up the day after Christmas after actually looking at some of the actual book.

Current time is 09:07 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2879 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 29 queries executed.