Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Traveler - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Jan 2nd, 2007 06:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
VaMike

Mana: 

Hello all.  I am new to this board and am looking forward to being an active member  of it.   In the back of Shaara's book, "The Last Full Measure", it is said that Lee purchased his horse Traveler for two hundred dollars.  I had always read and believed that the horse was a gift to Lee from a soldier in the 60th Virginia Infantry.  Supposedly Lee tried to buy the horse but the soldier would accept no payment.  Can anyone verify either story?  Thanks all.

Posted: Tue Jan 2nd, 2007 07:10 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Hi VAMike!

According to "Traveller & Company: The Horses of Gettysburg" by Blake Manger:

"In the fall of 1861 the horse was purchased by Maj. Thomas L. Brown from the son of the man who raised him. When Robert E. Lee took command of Brown's unit near Big Sewell Mountain in (west) Virginia, he saw the horse for the first time and took a fancy to him. Calling the horse "his colt", Lee always had something nice to say whenever he saw him.

"In early 1862 Lee was serving in South Carolina. At this time, the horse was being used by Brown's brother who was also serving in the Carolinas. When Lee saw the horse again, he inquired about buying him and actually borrowed him for a month to see how the two suited each other. Brown offered to give Lee the horse, but he refused and eventually bought him for the sum of $200 in February 1862."

Hope that helps...welcome to the board.

Posted: Tue Jan 2nd, 2007 11:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Widow

Mana: 

When I watch "Gettysburg" on DVD, I like to switch on the French dialog and English subtitles.  It's such a hoot when General Lee approaches the corral.

"Bonjour, Lucy,  Et Voyageur, comment vas tu?"

I doubt that Traveler spoke French.

Last edited on Thu Jan 4th, 2007 04:48 pm by Widow

Posted: Wed Jan 3rd, 2007 01:25 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Patty that reminds me of the time I saw Woodstock in Brussels  in 1970.  What was written in the subtitles was not what they were saying on the screen and the porta potty scene fell flat with the audience .  I was the only one laughing . 

I do like Traveler's name in French Voyageur

Posted: Wed Jan 3rd, 2007 04:23 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Well, javal already answered your question. All I can do is add more sources to the one he gave you.

http://www.civilwarhome.com/leeshorses.htm

http://www.civilwarhome.com/warhorses.htm

Posted: Wed Jan 3rd, 2007 02:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Johnny Huma
Johnny Huma

Mana: 

I was talking to a General Lee Reenacter at Gettysburg one day and this guy is actually one of the more studied on Robert E. Lee and was in the top spot for Lee at the reenactments in the Burg when filming 3 days of destiny.  As I was conversing with him I asked him how he had come by obtaining his Horse Travler'. He informed me that the horse was in fact a race horse who he had seen run on several occasions and had offered to buy the horse from the owner. The owner would not take any money and insisted he take it as a gift. Lee again would not hear of that and the going price for a horse then would have been about 100 dollars. He infact gave the man 200 dollars because a race horse would have been worth more money. He then corrected me as to the name of the horse and said infact the horses name was Jeff Davis and that his nickname was Travler' and that it had been given to him by his staff. "General Lee this horse is a good travler" they would tell him and so the horse came to be known as Travler' How true it all is I am not sure but he seemed to be pretty well studied on Lee..

Although very professional and strickly staying in character I caught him off guard.

I asked if he would give my friend and I the honor of having an image with him.

He heartally agreed and I called for my freind to come to us..Well my friend has a bit of Polio from birth and walks with a cane and a limp..As he approached us I said to

General Lee "Thats my friend there he was wounded in the war"..He replied "Oh I am sorry Vietnam?" I replied no Suh "Chancelorsville"...He smiled knowing he was caught off guard and was a good sport of it all...

Huma

Current time is 11:07 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3479 seconds (19% database + 81% PHP). 26 queries executed.