Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Amusing comments by the soldiers - Other People of the Civil War - The Participants of the War - Mikitary & Civilian - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Jan 20th, 2007 05:25 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

One day in winter the surgeon came along to Kelly's bunk, put his hand on his head then over his heart. Kelly was cold. Soon the artists with the stretcher came in, rolled Kelly onto it and took him to the dead room. Along towards morning these same fellows carried in another body, tumbling it up against poor emaciated Kelly with a bang. It was noticed that Kelly moved and soon he sat up straight; his shoulders shivered a little and said: "By God, can't you give a fellow another blanket?" Ed beat those stretcher experts that time and lived many years after the war closed.

H.P. Chapman 103rd O.V.I. speaking about Edward C. Kelly of Co. E

Fuller

Posted: Mon Jan 22nd, 2007 02:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
David White

Mana: 

CS Infantrymen taunting a cavalryman with a long flowing mustache:

Get that mouse out of your nose!  I know he's in there because I see his tail hanging out!

Posted: Tue Jan 23rd, 2007 02:44 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
Widow

Mana: 

May 11, 1864, Spotsylvania County, VA:  Grant has planned a massive attack on Lee's salient called the "Mule Shoe."  It's dark, it's raining, and nobody has a map.

"Mud a la Virginia, and as dark as Erebus," a Federal wrote in his diary.

Brig. Gen. Francis C. Barlow is trying to keep his exhausted division in formation.

"As we staggered and stumbled along in the mud and intense darkness," Barlow recalled, "and I vainly sought for information, the absurdity of our position -- that we were proceeding to attack the enemy when no one even knew his direction, and we could hardly keep on our own legs -- appealed to me very strongly."  Soon he was snickering with the rest.  "It was an exquisitely ludicrous scene," Barlow recounted, "and I could hardly sit on my horse for laughter."  He ended up pleading with the staffer Charles Morgan, "For heaven's sake, at least face us in the right direction so that we shall not march away from the enemy and have to go round the world and come up in their rear."

The next day, the salient is captured, and there's a lot of hand-to-hand fighting.

A Yankee and Herman Seay, of the 23rd Virginia, popularly known as Hickory-hat, locked bayonets, struggled to impasse, then tried to brain each other with their gun butts.  "Damn your soul," Seay cried, "put down that gun and I'll be damned if I can't throw you down!"  Pitching their weapons aside, the men began wrestling.  Seay, renowned in Louisa County, Virginia, for his prowess at the sport, jammed his thumbs into the Federal's eyes.  "I surrender," his antagonist screamed, but Seay's victory was short-lived.  Yankees marched Hickory-hat and the remainder of his command away at gunpoint, with everyone laughing heartily over the incident.

Copied from The Battles for Spotsylvania Court House and the Road to Yellow Tavern, May 7-12, 1864, by Gordon C. Rhea (1997).

Patty

Posted: Tue Jan 23rd, 2007 05:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
ole

Mana: 

Forget the exact quote or the occasion it referred to, but one soldier wrote home that the "march was 12 miles long and 2 feet deep."

Ole

Posted: Tue Jan 23rd, 2007 09:39 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

"Maw I have lurned to write in Camp well a nuf to write letters my self"   on a display at the Museum of the Confederacy  on letter writing .

Posted: Wed Jan 24th, 2007 03:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
HankC

Mana: 

A humorous incident occurred on July 1 during the battle of Gettysburg.

Fry's artillery battery of Rodes division, was part of the traffic jam on Oak Hill. General Rodes ordered the battery out of the line of march and to deploy on the downward slope of the hill. Fry complied and the battery was soon under moderate fire due to it's lack of cover and unable to fire with much effect due to the slope.

Colonel Cutshaw, the battery's battalion commander, soon rode up and exclaimed, 'What idiot placed this battery here?'.

General Rodes turned several shades of crimson and replied, 'Ah, Colonel, I am glad you are here. Please position this battery as you see fit.'.

Rodes staff generally cracked up during the brief exchange...

HankC

Posted: Wed Jan 24th, 2007 06:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
27th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Hank I love that story.  Can't you just picked the look on both their faces.  First Fry's look when he realizes who is asking him the question and Rodes as Fry answers him. 

Ya know there is a book in all these inncidents and quotes someone should collect them and publish .  Or does anyone know of such a book?  I would love to have it .

Susan

Posted: Mon Jan 29th, 2007 03:14 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental,
justifiable, and praiseworthy.

- Ambrose Bierce

You have chosen to ignore JDC Duncan. click Here to view this post

Posted: Tue Apr 3rd, 2007 11:57 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
30th Post
Widow

Mana: 

Three French aristocrats took part in the Civil War, two on McClellan's staff and one on the Confederate side.  Naturally the boys couldn't pronounce them danged furrin names, so . . .

Le Compte de Paris = Captain Parry

Le Duc de Chartres = Captain Chatters

Le Prince de Polignac = Prince Polecat

Patty   :=))  <--- double chin-grin

Posted: Thu May 10th, 2007 07:59 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
31st Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Up late thumbing thru books, ran into this old gem in Walsh's "Damage Them All You Can":

Acid-tongued Jubal Early, still only a brigadier though commanding Ewell's division, would once scandalize a congregation hearing a sermon on the Resurrection.

"What would be your feelings on that day?"  the preacher fervently asked.  "What would be your feelings at seeing those gallant ones who have given up their lives for their beloved country, rising in their thousands and marching in solemn procession?"

Early could not contain himself. "I would conscript every damned one of them!" he growled from his pew.

Posted: Thu May 10th, 2007 09:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
32nd Post
medicboymatt

Mana: 

Yes, wasn't Early noted for tossing off bon mots in church? As I recall, he was in the habit of dozing off during the sermon, and upon awakening, would engage the pastor as if they were having a normal conversation.

Posted: Tue Jun 12th, 2007 04:31 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
33rd Post
SimoneSays

Mana: 

Johan Steele wrote: In this army one hole in the seat of the breeches indicates a Captain, two holes a Lieutenant and the seat of the pants all out indicates the individual is a private." Texan outside of Atlanta 1864.

:D - Now that is incredibly funny.

┬žimone┬žays ~ I see a lilly on thy brow, / With anguish moist and fever dew; / And on thy cheek a fading rose / Fast withereth too. I met a lady in the meads / Full beautiful, a faery's child; / Her hair was long, her foot was light, / And her eyes were wild. - Keats

Last edited on Tue Jun 12th, 2007 04:32 am by SimoneSays

Posted: Thu Jun 14th, 2007 11:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
34th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

There's always Richard Ewell on July 3 at Gettysburg, where he told an aide that he had just been hit by a Yankee sharpshooter.
'Where?" asked the aide.
"Here," replied Ewell, pointing to his wooden leg. "I'll trouble you to hand me my other leg."

And, of course, Ewell again, talking to Gordon about Old Baldy's prosthesis. "Suppose that ball had struck you?" Ewell said. "We would have had the trouble of carrying you off the field, sir. You see how much better fixed for a fight I am than you are. It don't hurt a bit to be shot in a wooden leg."

Too much laudnum maybe?

Posted: Fri Jun 15th, 2007 12:19 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
35th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Damn!  This is one of the cases where I put together a very thoughtful response, only to have it eaten alive by The CWi Board Quirk.  I should have taken my own advice and saved it repeatly - Joe, can something be done to not have these responses time-out and self-erase?

Pvt. Clewell brought up an argument dear to my heart, and I thought that I expressed what I wanted to say quite well. Then, my response "timed out" and was gone, arughhhhgh!  I've  been waiting a long time to put this argument forth  - thought  that I had it right:  for the first time ever, I had a place to put this argument forward  and the response timed out, and what I wrote disappeared.......

Oh, well, will try again tomorrow. 

JR

Last edited on Fri Jun 15th, 2007 01:00 am by JoanieReb

Posted: Fri Jun 15th, 2007 12:56 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
36th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Truthfully, I don't know what's causing it, so I don't know how to fix it. I do know it's frustrating, and I apologize. It's happened to me a time or two as well. What I've started to do is copying the message to clipboard before I hit send. I know you shouldn't have to do that, and I'm looking into it, but no luck so far.

Posted: Sun Jun 17th, 2007 12:46 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
37th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Joanie, Joanie, Joanie,

Occasionally I can really get into thoughtful and well-crafted responses. Now that you've teased me for two days, what the heck were you going to say? Something about Ewell? Wooden legs? Laudnum?

Posted: Tue Jun 19th, 2007 02:46 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
38th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

:);) - this is along-term, often-thought-out subject to me, flipped more often than my eggs over a weak campfire...(which I should know better than to flip more than once).  I've got almost a thesis here, and I need to condense it.  I'll be able to soon...

(PS, Do we know each other? Worked with more than a couple guys from North Carolina, and the whole, "Joanie, Joanie, Joanie" thing was a big joke at a Maryland shoot...)

??????

Last edited on Tue Jun 19th, 2007 05:03 am by JoanieReb

Posted: Tue Jun 19th, 2007 01:03 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
39th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Ummm, do we know each other?

Don't think so. Not unless you were that crazy person who sat next to me on the bus ride to Second Manassas about 10 years ago, talked incessantly and spilled water all over me. That was enjoyable. If you're that person, don't worry, all is forgiven. I think.

Posted: Tue Jun 19th, 2007 08:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
40th Post
Badger

Mana: 

Patty thanks for the humorous notes. Here's one I ran across in a soldier's letter:the soldier hadn't been paid for over two months and said he felt "as poor as Job's turkey." also a good story about a teamster in the Army of the Potomac: A quartermaster's officer came across a teamster whose mules and wagon were stuck in the mud.The teamster was cussing a blue streak and using his whip but the mules were unmoved.The officer took offense at the teamster's profanity and said "Come on now you never heard General Grant swear like that." The teamster paused a moment and replied."Well then the Old Man never druv' mules!"  Have a good day.

Badger

Current time is 02:20 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2207 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 28 queries executed.