Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Kepi Hats - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Jan 23rd, 2007 05:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

I'm wondering about Kepi hats.  They didn't seem all that practical to me.  Why wouldn't the army issue a better brimmed hat that protected the men from the sun, snow etc.?  They claimed to be benificial in foraging.  How were they better for even that?

Fuller

Posted: Tue Jan 23rd, 2007 10:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Widow

Mana: 

Fuller, my first guess is that they were cheaper and easier to produce.  A brim requires more material and time to form to shape.  But the leather bill is fairly simple, plus the little chin strap thingy.

Patty

Last edited on Wed Jan 24th, 2007 12:51 pm by Widow

Posted: Tue Jan 23rd, 2007 11:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

The two hats you see framing the banner on top of the page are post war Kepi's... 1870's or later.  At the time of the ACW France was thought the pinnacle of Military thought & fashion and they were wearing the Kepi.  Everybody copied them....  That's the short & skinny.

Actually the Kepi was more expensive to make than the more practical slouch hat that so many men switched to.

Posted: Wed Jan 24th, 2007 12:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Widow

Mana: 

Thanks, Johan, for correcting my false assumption.  Now that you've pointed it out, I can see that a simple slouch hat molded from a single flat piece of felt is fast and easy.  I hadn't thought of that.

As for French military fashions.  Can't imagine why anybody would think those outfits were cool.

Patty

Posted: Wed Jan 24th, 2007 02:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

Johan,

So when you say that the men switched to the slouch style, were they purchased by the men themselves?  Or perhaps traded with other goods along the way, or were they issued to them?

Fuller

Posted: Wed Jan 24th, 2007 09:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

The Kepi were actually issued to very few union units w/ far more use in CS service.  What was issued was the Forage Cap... it was the regulation wear and was more enforced in the AoT & other button polishing units.

Hardee/Jeff Davis/ 1858 Dress hats were issued to many units and were generally discarded because they weren't all that comfortable until broken in & more comfortably shaped.  Many men "acquired" various types of slouch hats from local civilian sources, some bought them through conventional means and many simply beat their Hardees into submission... worked on the CS General too.

As a note; the US Army was very visionary in 1860 when it came to uniforms & Accoutraments.  They were by and far the most comfortable to wear of any army in the world.  On the Continent if a uniform looked good but was as uncomfortable as all hell it was being worn correctly.  Campaign experiance on the frontier proved one thing: a good looking corpse is still a corpse.  They also learned that functional was considerably less expensive than pretty. 

Current time is 02:01 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1596 seconds (14% database + 86% PHP). 25 queries executed.