Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Stars in Their Courses - Civil War Books - Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Jan 27th, 2007 12:48 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Regina

Mana: 

I'm just about to finish listening to a civil war book-on-tape called "Stars in Their Courses--The Gettysburg Campaign" by Shelby Foote.  Listening to it has been another incredible experience in a chain of experiences since I first toured the battlefield at Gettysburg almost one year ago.  Hearing Mr. Foote's voice as he reads his work has been pleasurable in, and of, itself--it's a voice that completely draws me into the words being spoken.  And then the story, as he tells it, amazes me as I don't think anything else ever has.  It gave me new perspectives, not only of the battle and the civil war, but of life in general too.  One other thing that I am so amazed by is how it is possible for us to know so many details of events that happened in the past down to things like what time it started to rain, what type of rain fell, what so many people specifically said to each other throughout the day, exactly what part of each soldier's bodies were hit with bullets, etc. etc.  I am so looking forward to walking some battlefields again this summer when I have a chance to travel (I'm a teacher luckily) because of the works like Foote's that I have come across the past few months.  I also feel the need to "give back" somehow, so I have joined the Friends of Gettysburg and contacted them to see how I can help clear brush or paint a fence or something.  The posts here on this board are also very interesting and helpful reading--I read them every day or so, thanks all who write and take care !!

Posted: Sat Jan 27th, 2007 01:53 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Mr. Foote was a true treasure that is truly missed. I once met him and praised him for his numerous works. Unfortunately I later learned during a cpan interview that he truly disdained individuals, such as myself, doing as I did. With that aside it was still a good interview with such a genteel Mississippi gentleman.

Doc C

Last edited on Sat Jan 27th, 2007 02:09 am by Doc C

Posted: Sat Jan 27th, 2007 02:03 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Here's the website for the Foote interview.

http://www.booknotes.org/Transcript/?ProgramID=1216

Doc C

Posted: Sat Jan 27th, 2007 03:09 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Regina I am a retired teacher.  I loved  having part of the summer to travel.  Wish I had found the Civil War sooner. 

I have Stars in their Courses and  another one on the Vicksburg campaign that a freind won at a raffle and when I  got so excited for him he gave it to me!!!!

I also check this board during the day.  I love reading all he posts.  I have learned alot from the members here .

Doc how lucky you were to meet Shelby Foote. 

Susan

Posted: Sat Jan 27th, 2007 03:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Johnny Huma
Johnny Huma

Mana: 

Regina,

I think it is great that you are getting involved as a Friend of Gettysburg Member..Have wanted to do it myself and cannot work into my schedule time to give it a good effort. I always donate to the monuments when I am there and I have bought a brick on the square with my name on it but that is very little help and one wishes he could do more. I am reading the Shelby Footes 3 volume series on the CW and I am getting close to finishing the first one..They are big books with a load of information that I am sure one needs to read 3 times to retain it all...They are written with a great flow and keeps the events moving as they happend. One interesting fact that I did not know is that Stuart was fighting against his Father-in-Law in Peninsula Campagin and said that his Father-in-Law (whom's name I cannot recall at the moment) would regret that he went to the Union side only once..And that would be continuous...Little things like that that Shelby Foote puts in his material makes it all the more interesting when you are reading about what happened and brings the war a little more personal to all of us who did not witness it. He draws the picture in our minds eye for us to see it and that is what I love about his storytelling..

I now will have to check out "Stars in their courses" :) and add it to the never ending library....

Huma

Posted: Sat Jan 27th, 2007 04:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Stars in their courses is taken from the three volume work.  It is Shelby reading aloud.  as is the Vicksburg tape also . They are quite enjoyable to listen to .  I did have a hard time listening to them when I was driving as I kept wanting to go back and listen to a part again .  Hard to do on the road. 

Posted: Sat Jan 27th, 2007 04:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Johnny Huma
Johnny Huma

Mana: 

Susan,

Thanks for that info I did not know that it was the same material but I think I may wait to read it first then buy the tapes....

Thanks

Huma

Posted: Sat Jan 27th, 2007 11:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I hope you can find copies Huma.  I got mine the day Shelby Foote died.  It was the only one I could find  on line  in used books and tapes.  The Vicksburg one as I said was donated to a book raffle and my friend won it then gave it to me.  Don't understand why , maybe something about the way I was dancing on the table with joy for him winning it maybe?  ( well not really dancing on the table. . . . but was very excited .).

Posted: Sun Jan 28th, 2007 01:44 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Widow

Mana: 

Huma, Foote's trilogy was the first Civil War history that I ever read.  I was drawn to it after seeing him on an episode of Civil War Journal, called "Yank vs. Reb: The Foot Soldier's Life."  (History Channel).  His face and Mississippi accent - well, I couldn't resist.  So now I've read it twice, and use it as my basic reference.  Superbly written.

Sometimes I have one of Foote's volumes open to a map related to a particular event, along with the Virginia state road map, and a street map of Spotsylvania County (for ex.), while I'm studying one or two books on the same event.  Sometimes I go for weeks without seeing my dining table.  :=))

I never did this much research for ANYTHING when I was in college.  And to think I'm doing this for fun.

Patty

Posted: Sun Jan 28th, 2007 02:11 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Patty I thought I was the only one that read with maps and dictionaries spread out all around me.  Only thing is I don't have a dining table so It is on the floor and on the seat of the couch where I read.  Notepad too to take notes .  When I am going to visit a historical site , I also have a notebook and post it's to take notes to use on the trip .  You should see my notebook from my trip last fall to South Carolina.  I also added notes as I visited sites.  inscriptions on graves, more information I found at one site that led to another etc.  My favorite is a poem on the entrance to Francis Marion's grave which has nothing to do with the Civil War . He is a partisan patriot from another war.  Yeah Swamp Fox.  I have always loved doing research but now that I am retired it is an absolute obsession !!!

Last edited on Sun Jan 28th, 2007 02:13 am by susansweet

Posted: Sun Jan 28th, 2007 04:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Regina

Mana: 

Doc C--thanks for the link to Foote's interview--I really liked reading it.  And I appreciate his acknowledgment that, somehow, fate appears to  have had a part in the battle of Gettysburg and the Civil War.   It seems to me, too, that the "hand of fate" or God does play a part and I find it very interesting

Current time is 11:22 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4016 seconds (23% database + 77% PHP). 25 queries executed.