Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Nathan Bedford Forrest - N.B. Forrest - The Participants of the War - Mikitary & Civilian - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Thu Oct 11th, 2007 01:42 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
62nd Post
younglobo

Mana: 

Havnt seen these "Ride with Forrest Stickers" Guess they havnt filtered down to MO yet. I would say they are like the Stars and Bars one idiot flys it and speaks ignorantly and poof its a bad thing.

Posted: Fri Oct 12th, 2007 06:03 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
63rd Post
JeffOYB

Mana: 

Hey, I got the "Rebel Forrest" VHS video, with Shelby Foote in it and a lookalike. It was pretty good. From Dixie Gun Works. Hard to find otherwise. Maybe a half hour long. It made me want to read the bio's again! Forrest's story is just so amazing. Each level of detail is so compelling and colorful. The song at the end of the video gave a pretty nice flavor of the color of Forrest, too. I'd say half of the video dealt with the back'n'forth of the Pillow/KKK stuff and a squabble over a statue today. Regrettable, I say! I recall that one oldtime biographer said that Hood's Retreat would be the subject of epic poems---too bad they never happened. Or did they? Anyone know of more obscure publication of NBF materials?

I'd be willing to part with the vid. I have my books! : ) $20 postpaid and it's yours. My paypal address is jeff [at] outyourbackdoor [dot] com. (You could check out my website domain to see my own bonafides. : ) )

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=9508

Posted: Fri Oct 12th, 2007 07:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
64th Post
sweetea

Mana: 

You all may say what you will about NBF.  I, a Northern gal, may or may not agree with some of what you say. 

I don't believe that the KKK was formed with the initial intent of harassing former slaves; rather, it was formed to annoy the carpetbagger contingent.  I have also heard from at least two transplanted southerners (of my generation and well-schooled in the "War of Northern Agression" as taught in the South) that it was NOT the initial idea of Forrest, although he certainly went along with it for a time.   The individual who made the initial suggestion had made some offhand remark to the effect that "those people" should be driven out.  I'm not giving you any names, don't get po'd at me.  Just repeating what I heard.  (Whatever that individual asked for, he got.;) )

Tell me though, is it true that the last direct male Forrest (hope that is worded correctly) was also the first American general to die in European combat in WWII?  He made sure that the men with him jumped from the plane first, iirc.

Posted: Fri Oct 12th, 2007 08:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
65th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Sweetea,

The male Forrest line did indeed come to an end in 1943.

Nathan Bedfored Forrest (1821-1877) had a son, William Montgomery Forrest.(1846-1908).

William was a captain in the Confederate Army, and was wounded at Ft. Donelson and a couple of other places.

William had a son, Nathan Bedford Forrest II (1872-1931).

Nathan II had a son, Nathan Bedford Forrest III (1905-1943). Nathan III became a brigadier general in the US Army Air Force. He was killed after flying on a raid in 1943. Eventually, his remains were removed to Arlington.

Here is a short bio and a picture of the general and his monument.

Nathan Bedford Forrest III, Brigadier General, United States Army Air Corps

Posted: Wed Jun 8th, 2011 06:34 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
66th Post
pender

Mana: 

forrest is great

Posted: Mon Aug 22nd, 2011 12:34 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
67th Post
Old Blu

Mana: 

The Civil War  "Book of Records" has Nathan Bedford Forrest the number 1 General of the Confederacy. :)

Posted: Mon Aug 22nd, 2011 05:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
68th Post
Mark

Mana: 

Over Lee? Preposterous! Forrest was tactically and strategically sound when it came to cavalry, but I really doubt he understood the combined arms fight or the vital link between the government and the military as well as R.E. Lee.

Mark

Posted: Mon Aug 22nd, 2011 07:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
69th Post
Old Blu

Mana: 

Nathan Bedford Forrest was a genuine Cavalryman from the gitgo.  A fantastic soldier and a great leader.

Posted: Tue Aug 23rd, 2011 12:50 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
70th Post
Barlow

Mana: 

he was a criminal and should have been hung

Posted: Tue Aug 23rd, 2011 12:52 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
71st Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

So was Fileding Hurst....But, war is hell, ain't it??.....

Posted: Sat May 12th, 2012 04:48 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
72nd Post
Joel Smith

Mana: 

Each side is guilty of tremendous bloodshed, obviously, but I challenge anyone to present a transgression committed by Forrest not committed by/under Sherman or another U.S. general.

The accounts at Ft. Pillow are at best disputed, and to say that he ordered the execution of armless, captured prisoners at best presents a level of certitude not warranted by the evidence, and at worst misrepresents the facts in a manner arising to libel.

Posted: Tue May 15th, 2012 11:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
73rd Post
Old Blu

Mana: 

Forrest had a trial and was not found guilty of anything.
Forrest was a selfmade fighter that used tactics unbeknownst at that time.
Lee was a Great Man but he was old Southern and West Point trained.

Posted: Mon Jun 11th, 2012 10:46 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
74th Post
Vernon Dutton

Mana: 

Forrest was the wildest of the Confederate Generals. He was a killer on the level of Wild Bill Hickock. He would shoot you at the drop of a hat. He supposed to have said that he was afraid of only one man and that was his brother Bill, who rode his horse into the Gayoso Hotel in Memphis, TN during the 1864 raid and wrote Nathan's name on the hotel register. That whole family could be call The Wild Bunch.  

Posted: Tue Jun 12th, 2012 02:48 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
75th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Sure, Forrest was a killer.....I do not disagree......That is what war is all about....

Posted: Tue Jun 12th, 2012 02:58 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
76th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Dan Sickles was a killer.....he shot his wife's lover....Could it be argued Custer was a killer??....Sherman??.....Who else??....

Posted: Tue Jun 12th, 2012 03:31 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
77th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

I'd argue something else about Custer. Have had a low opinion on him after one of my Christmas or birthday presents in the early '90s.

Posted: Wed Jun 13th, 2012 02:02 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
78th Post
Vernon Dutton

Mana: 

When I say Forrest was a killer, I meant he shot or sabered 30 men personally. Or in the case of his own officer stabbed him with a pocket knife after the officer had shot him. I doubt that Custer or Sheridan or Sherman or Stuart or Jackson were engaged in fighting to that degree.

Posted: Wed Jun 13th, 2012 02:35 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
79th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Forrest killed those men because he was close enough to the action to do so, as was any other man fighting close enough to the front...So I agree with your statment about the officers you mentioned.....As to the officer he stabbed, I'd stab anybody that shot me, too......:)

Posted: Wed Jun 13th, 2012 12:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
80th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Forrest was a fighting man of the highest order. He was also a self made soldier. It was Sherman that thought him the best general of the war; which holds some weight. He wasn't a Cavalry Officer in any way shape or form as he didn't do what Cav is supposed to do. he used his men as raiders taking a page from the Native American far more than from the European experiance.

He was also not the kind of fellow any of us would likely invite home to sunday dinner; but he was certainly the guy you'd want on your side in a fight.

Current time is 08:31 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.5953 seconds (28% database + 72% PHP). 27 queries executed.