Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > General Civil War Talk > Confederate Names/Places Today related to WBTS

Confederate Names/Places Today related to WBTS - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Feb 13th, 2007 10:52 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
dmdranch

Mana: 

I need everyone's help.  I'm putting together a program of how the WBTS has influenced are current geographical landscape.  I need your knowledge concerning different towns/roads/parks/counties/schools/etc. that can relate their current name to the WBTS.  Since this is for a Sons of Confederate Veterans mtg. I'm primarily looking for Confederate examples.  For example...Ft. Polk, La. is named for Lt. Gen. Leonidas Polk.  Maxcy Gregg Park in Columbia, SC is named for Brig. Gen. Maxcy Gregg

I know that there's some great examples out there.  Please email me with some of your thoughts.  DMDRanch@ftc-i.net  Thanks, Dr. Louis Drucker

Posted: Tue Feb 13th, 2007 02:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
David White

Mana: 

In Texas 38 of our counties are named for Confederate leaders and of couse the towns of Granbury (spelled differently) and Cleburne ( pronounced Klee-burn) are named for the two generals.

Posted: Tue Feb 13th, 2007 04:03 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Many military bases are named for Confederate generals Fort Hood, Fort Bragg, Fort A.P. Hill , Fort Lee Fort Benning, Fort Rucker

Posted: Tue Feb 13th, 2007 07:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
dmdranch

Mana: 

Thanks for your reply.  I think that I have most of the military bases/posts.  Got any other examples?  LAD

Posted: Tue Feb 13th, 2007 08:00 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
dmdranch

Mana: 

Thanks for the response Aggie.  I knew about Cleburne, but not Granbury.  Any other examples?

We had a great time a couple of years ago when we went to College Station for the Clemson game.  We've never been treated that nicely in Athens or Raleigh, or anywhere else.  Also, we've never sat that high in a stadium!

LAD

Posted: Wed Feb 14th, 2007 02:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
David White

Mana: 

Ft. Davis was named before the war for Sec. of War Jeff Davis.  Ft. Hancock post war for the Union General.  Breckinridge (now part of Richardson, near Dallas) and Camp Breckenridge (today Breckenridge) on the Frontier Regiment line were both name for John C. Breckinridge before the war, although the folks in west Texas misspelled his name, changing the first i to an e.

You guys paid us back for the thumping we gave you that day the next year.  I would say that game at Clemson is what started all the second guessing of our latest coaching hire for football.  The questioning continues despite a fairly successful season this year.

Posted: Fri Feb 16th, 2007 02:35 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Some Civil War-era Floridians have places named after them.

Stephen R Mallory: Lived part of his life in Key West, Florida. Was a member of the US Senate when Florida seceded from the Union. He was Secretary of the Navy in the Confederacy and served time in prison for his participation in the Confederate government.

Mallory Square in Key West is named after him. It is the harbor-side location of the famous nightly sunset festivities and circus-like fiesta that attracts tourists and locals alike.

Captain Richard Bradford: Fought in the Civil War and was killed at the Battle of Santa Rosa Island near Pensacola in Florida.  Bradford City is named after him.

James McNair Baker: Judge and senator in the Confederacy. Baker City, FL is named after him.

David Levy Yulee: Was pro-slavery and pro-secession. Served two non-consecutive terms in the US Senate but withdrew when Florida seceded. He was the first Jewish US senator. He was imprisoned nine months in Fort Pulaski Prison post war for his activities in aid of the Confederacy, including serving in the Confederate Congress.  He is primarily known, however, for his work with railroads in Florida and is called the "Father of Florida Rail Roads."

The town of Yulee, Florida and Levy County, Florida are named for him.

I need to dig further on this subject. I will research a few local names to see if they are related to the Civil War. Actually most Florida names relate to the Spanish explorers and the native-Americans who lived here before the Spanish arrived. Also many names refer to post Civil War settlers, politicians and developers.

Posted: Fri Feb 16th, 2007 02:38 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
dmdranch

Mana: 

That's what I need...thanks.

LAD

Posted: Sun Feb 18th, 2007 02:20 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Widow

Mana: 

Here in Fairfax County we have a few places named for Confederates.  Jeb Stuart High School, Mosby Woods Elementary School, Lee High School.  Jefferson Davis Highway, Lee Highway, Lee-Jackson Highway, Pickett Road.  Arlington County was named for Arlington, the estate of the Custis-Lee Mansion and the site of the National Cemetery.

Also some other famous historical figures, Madison, Monroe, Jefferson, Washington.  I know, wrong war.

For most of place names related to the Civil War, however, the battle or event was named for the town.  Manassas, Brandy Station, Chantilly, Fredericksburg, Petersburg, Winchester, Appomattox.

Patty

Posted: Sun Feb 18th, 2007 03:39 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
dmdranch

Mana: 

Thank you all for your help.  This is coming together nicely.

LAD

Posted: Sun Feb 18th, 2007 03:57 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
ole

Mana: 

Lad:

You are not permitted to simply go away once your initial question has been answered. You must remain an active member and post occasionally to keep things going. This is your final warning.

:shock:

Posted: Mon Feb 19th, 2007 01:22 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
dmdranch

Mana: 

Does anyone know whether Ft. Stewart , Ga. was named after Gen. A. P. Stewart or Gen. Daniel Stewart of Rev. War fame?

Posted: Mon Feb 19th, 2007 02:11 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

It is named for Daniel Stewart who fought in the Revolutionary War with Francis Marion.

Posted: Mon Feb 19th, 2007 02:49 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

One more for your consideration is Fort Campbell in Kentucky, the home of the US Army 101st Airborne Division. 

This fort is named for Brigadier General William Bowen Campbell who did fight some early in the Civil War, but is better known for his valor in the Mexican War and the Seminole War in Florida.

Whoops! I do see that you were interested in Confederate names. Campbell fought for the Union.

Last edited on Mon Feb 19th, 2007 02:51 am by CleburneFan

Posted: Sun Mar 18th, 2007 05:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
2nd. LT. Chapman

Mana: 

I live in northwest GA and there are roads everywhere named after all the Generals, especially is Cobb county where Kennesaw mountain is. Polk ave, Loring rd, really way too many to name. There is a neighborhood near here with Johnston Way as the main road. They even have one in there named after Sherman... it's a new neighborhood, laff.

In any case, yes, there are Confederate namesakes all over the place... even Longstreet. Scoll around here:  http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&addtohistory=&address=%5b501%2d644%5d%20Longstreet%20Dr%20Sw&city=Marietta&state=GA&zipcode=30064&country=US&location=PpJOq2lZymM09LfUh6HgLQVyOdEa%2ff%2bw9BHY%2b95wtggVjXJgi7QkGlZ0ZHUYTguCnhQBZHy2B%2bX3zsNyDQmsUjmGoNYYWfG%2bMe4t9nSVJBFm0J8gFPM1WzqcdO6WST8MzVyxp7%2bUPHB6%2b0vPdi1vYw%3d%3d&ambiguity=1#north

You can Mapquest most any southern town and place names are all over. Here is another. Load it and click "zoom to street level" and page to the left. You'll see Tara Blvd and Robert E. Lee Pkwy, it lead's into a whole part of Jonesboro with Confederate names: http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&addtohistory=&address=&city=Jonesboro&state=GA&zipcode=&country=US&geodiff=1
J

Last edited on Sun Mar 18th, 2007 06:53 pm by 2nd. LT. Chapman

Current time is 07:48 pm
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > General Civil War Talk > Confederate Names/Places Today related to WBTS

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3705 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 26 queries executed.