Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Albert Sailhorst - Help Looking for an individual - Genealogy - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Feb 22nd, 2007 05:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

I re-enact with Scott's TN Battery. Originally, we were Bankhead's Battery, which later become Scott's.

I portray Sgt. Albert Sailhorst, who enlisted with Bankhead in Memphis. I have Sailhorst's war record listing that he died at both Selma, Alabama, and again at Chattanooga, TN. That is all I know about him.

I'd like to know where he came from, what he did for a living, his family situation, where did he really die, where is he buried, etc.....I've hit brick walls on searching the census, pension applications (widows), etc....

Any help is appreciated!!

Albert Sailhorst, Scott's Battery

Posted: Fri Feb 23rd, 2007 02:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
David White

Mana: 

Sounds like he is kin to Lazurus ;)

Posted: Fri Feb 23rd, 2007 02:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Yep, a regular Lazarus alright.....I can't figure why they have him listed as dying twice!!....I did get in contact with the Director of the Chattanooga National Park....He gave me a lot more "what if's" because there were no hospital records, etc....As to place of burial (he died of diarehea in a hospital) they were typically buried on hospital grounds with wooden boards as markers. Parts of the graves have been washed away in the last 140 years, and no record was kept as to who was buried where....

When he "died" in Alabama, it allegedly occured in a hospital, but I can only find a variety of hospitals that were there (or used) at the time.....I haven't been able to find any records or even a person to contact.

As to census info, I've found nothing in TN, Arkansas or Mississippi, so I don't know what county/state he came from, whether or not he was married and had children. It could be possible that he either came from another state after the 1860 census or that he migrated from another country.....

I sure picked a mystery when I chose to portray this guy!

I do hope I find him, though, because, in a way, I feel bad for him.....A lost soldier who died in a hospital alone, is buried in an unknown location, with, presumably, no one to mourn his passing or even remember that he lived......

Current time is 01:37 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1425 seconds (15% database + 85% PHP). 26 queries executed.