Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Remember the Alamo today! - Other History - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Mar 8th, 2007 12:58 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Correct Cuz Steven. The ancestor was Henry Hale Cone, originally from Connecticutt. Received a land of grant of about 500 acres for serving in the siege of Bexar the December prior to the Alamo. Siege of Bexar was the Texicans taking the Alamo from the Mexican Army. He later moved to Houston, was a surgeon there and died in the 1850's. My cone line is on another Texas Cone limb who came down to Texas from Ohio in the 1830's. Do you have any information on a Thomas Cone, pvt 21st TN Cav, who died at Camp Chase Jan. 24,1865.

Doc C

Posted: Thu Mar 8th, 2007 01:28 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
Steven Cone

Mana: 

I will see what what I can Find Cousin Doc. C

regards

Posted: Thu Mar 8th, 2007 01:28 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

You probably have this information already, but its no trouble to send it.

Re: PVT Thomas Cone, here is the Find-A-Grave memorial. It gives the date of birth, the fact that he was in Co. D of the 21st TN Cav, and the burial plot #.

Pvt Thomas Cone (1835 - 1865) - Find A Grave Memorial

You mentioned relatives settling in Houston before the Civil War. There was one in Houston before the war who served in the Texas legislature before the war and during the war was a staff officer of General Magruder's. So- you might be related to this Horace Cone.

Handbook of Texas Online:

Last edited on Thu Mar 8th, 2007 01:34 am by Texas Defender

Posted: Thu Mar 8th, 2007 01:35 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
Steven Cone

Mana: 

Texas Defender we are :D

He also lobbied unsuccessfully for a Houston-New Orleans railroad as a "military necessity."   & took a bold stand and presented a petition to the House for a special act to allow Peter Allen, a free black barber who had fought for the Confederate Army at Shiloh, to reside in the state.   Cone was defeated, and Allen was not allowed to remain free.

regards

You have chosen to ignore JDC Duncan. click Here to view this post

Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2008 02:27 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
Rebel Yell
Belle,Bourbon,Battlefields

Mana: 

Glad to see there are some Alamo aficionados in the group. Next to The War of Northern Aggression, the Alamo has been and still is one of my great passions. I have been to San Antonio many times and I still get that sense of awe and reverance as I did the first time I went there.

Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2008 02:28 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
27th Post
Rebel Yell
Belle,Bourbon,Battlefields

Mana: 

Glad to see there are some Alamo aficionados in the group. Next to The War of Northern Aggression, the Alamo has been and still is one of my great passions. I have been to San Antonio many times and I still get that sense of awe and reverance as I did the first time I went there.

Posted: Fri Aug 13th, 2010 01:22 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

An addition to this old topic. Many of the original Texans (Americans who migrated there in the early 19th century) did not want to break away from Mexico. Many of them wanted the Mexican government to allow them to keep their slaves which the government had earlier allowed them to do in difference to the rest of Mexico which outlawed the practice in the rest of the country.

Doc C

Posted: Fri Dec 2nd, 2011 11:45 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
29th Post
BHR62

Mana: 

I've gained interest in the Alamo since I found out I had an ancestor there during 1836. I traced the Dimmett/Dimmitt branch of our family tree and came across Phillip Dimmitt as a 2nd cousin. From what I've read he was sent out from the Alamo to get reinforcements when the Mexicans launched their final assault. I plan on visiting the Alamo hopefully in the next year or two. What are some good books in reading up on the Alamo and the Texas Independence movement?

Posted: Fri Dec 2nd, 2011 01:10 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
30th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

BHR62-

Here is a bio of Philip Dimmitt:

DIMMITT, PHILIP | The Handbook of Texas Online| Texas State Historical Associa

And a short discussion about Dimmitt's Landing:

DIMITT'S LANDING | The Handbook of Texas Online| Texas State Historical Associ

As far as books go, there are many. But if you wish to learn a lot in a very short time, I would recommend: A TIME TO STAND, by Walter Lord. It is a very old book, first published in 1961. Obviously, much new information has been learned about people and events in the past 50 years. But its a good primer.

A excellent source for everything relating to the Alamo, the Texas Revolution, and Texas history in general is The Handbook of Texas Online:

The Handbook of Texas Online | Texas State Historical Association (TSHA)

Last edited on Fri Dec 2nd, 2011 01:19 pm by Texas Defender

Posted: Fri Dec 2nd, 2011 02:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
31st Post
BHR62

Mana: 

Thanks Texas! Interesting how the Mexican raiding party in 1841 bypassed Dimmitt's business competitors and got him. I will have to do some cutting and pasting out of these links you gave me and add them to the ancestry.com tree info.

Current time is 08:10 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3726 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 27 queries executed.